1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Going back to Gingerbread?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Rayin, Apr 12, 2012.

1. Rayin

Rayin Newbie

Hello !

I downloaded the official ICS firmware through Kies, then rooted my phone.

Does anybody know if I can get back to Gingerbread now? I have looked for the official O2 stock rom but everything I find seems to be ICS :thinking:

Thanks for any help :eek:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

You can get firmware from here
    Not sure if the link you need will still be active though, as many are defunct
    Otherwise, take a look SamMobile.com | Everything for your Samsung Mobile | SamMobile

I know its a case of closing the gate after the horse has bolted, but you should have rooted first, taken a CWM backup, then put on ICS. To get yourself back to GB, all you would have needed to do would have been to restore your CWM backup.

Rayin likes this.
  3. Rayin

Rayin Newbie

Thanks for your reply Hawker

Since I followed the root guide stickied above AFTER I'd updated to ICS (which I see now was a bit of a silly thing to do! :eek: ), when it told me to write down my version info I wrote down

PDA: I9100XWLP3
    PHONE: I9100XXLPR
    CSC: I9100O2ULP4

So now when I search for this info in the links you provided, it brings me 4.0.3 firmware

What would happen if I flashed a random gingerbread one, for example, XXKI4? My gut tells me this is a bad idea, so might just decide to live with ICS for now if getting back to Gingerbread is going to be such a minefield

4. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

In theory you should be ok, as the firmware will come with a compatible kernel.
    Ensure you do a full wipe first.
    CWM backups are a MUST to do, so take one first, and if all goes wrong, restore the backup.
    I've been flicking between CheckROM (GB), Hydrog3n (ICS) and D4Rom (ICS) over these last few days with no problem

Rayin likes this.
  5. Rayin

Rayin Newbie

I seem to be having some issue making backups now! Not sure what I have done wrong as I successfully made a nandroid backup last week as soon as I'd rooted. CWM says

""This version of CWM manager should be used with CF-root v5.0 or newer. It appears you are running a different kernel. Various features have been disabled.""

Which is a bit weird as I don't think I've done anything to my phone since last week (besides general usage and installing some apps)

Anyway installed "ROM Manager" and even that won't let me make a backup, says

"Installing package...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...

E: failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid argument)
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aborted
    "

No option in recovery menu for backup/restore

:eek:

6. Hawker

Hawker Android Expert

I would try reflashing cf-root again.

Rayin likes this.
  7. Rayin

Rayin Newbie

All sorted now thanks - back to gingerbread and everything! ;)

8. indiarahuliit

indiarahuliit Lurker

Hi Rayin,

I am having the same problem while trying to upgrade my stock 2.3.3 to cynagenmod 7.2. I rooted my phone using SuperOneClick. Then, I installed ROM Manager on my phone and created a Flash ClockworldMod Recovery too. Now, when I try to backup or install a new rom, it is giving me the exact same error as you were getting:

Installing package...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...

E: failed to seek in /cache/update.zip (Invalid argument)
    E: signature verification failed
    Installation aborted

I am a noob in all this. Can you please help me? Can you tell how you got yours fixed?

Thanks a lot
    Rahul

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews