• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Going back to my Desire from SGSII!

D

Deleted User

Got my SGSII snatched out of my hand in London last night, chased the guy but lost him so when I got home tried tracking it with lookout.... No luck! Then tried to install Plan B remotely and that wouldn't even install! - I think this is it for my SGSII so i am going back to my trusty old Desire (at least until I can get another SGSII or similar phone)! - What are the best ROMs, Kernels, Themes etc etc at the mo?

Yeah its a real bummer, its good to be back though, I miss the old days lol. I still love my desire, its still a great phone! As I had no SGSII Insurance I cannot get a new one so I'm just gonna keep my Desire and then maybe getting another SGSII or better phone in the future. What is the best ROM at the moment cos I'm still on GingerVillain?

Upvote 0
Yeah its a real bummer, its good to be back though, I miss the old days lol. I still love my desire, its still a great phone! As I had no SGSII Insurance I cannot get a new one so I'm just gonna keep my Desire and then maybe getting another SGSII or better phone in the future. What is the best ROM at the moment cos I'm still on GingerVillain?

Sorry to hear about your phone getting nicked mate. If I were you, if when you're in a position to get a new handset, instead of getting another Galaxy S2 I would hold out for a a newer and improved device.

Upvote 0
"Best ROM" as you know is in the eye of the beholder.

Personally, after a few months of stripped-down CM builds I've moved onto SUroot's ROM (with a very small /system partition, no sd-ext usage). But I'm keeping an eye on Redux2 developments as well (though that's a bit bigger: the lite build uses 75MB, and it still takes 68MB after I've edited it - so about half the size of GingerVillain ;))

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear about your phone getting nicked mate. If I were you, if when you're in a position to get a new handset, instead of getting another Galaxy S2 I would hold out for a a newer and improved device.

Yeah i am going to be waiting for a newer better device rather than another SGSII - and thanks for your posts everyone, ill keep an eye on Redux 2. Just out of interest... how good is GingerVillain these days?

Upvote 0
Mainly because I became interested in using a smaller ROM to save space, and found GV harder to shrink down than some of the others (plus it used to be incompatible with small cache partitions, which Richard fixed just after I'd left!). No particular reason otherwise, except perhaps a touch of restlessness after using it for 6 months or so.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones