1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Going from Evo to Nexus S 4G?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by K-Rizzle, Oct 29, 2011.

1. K-Rizzle

K-Rizzle Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 21, 2009
    SAHM
    Florida
    I have an Evo 4G right now and there is a post on CL for someone wanting to trade their Nexus S for an Evo 4G.

I've been having the "new phone itch" for a few days and I'm contemplating seeing if he'd like to make the trade.

Any comparisons? Anything better on the Nexus S than the Evo? Or Vice Versa?

Advertisement

2. kingp

kingp Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2010
    IT Systems Consultant
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Kelly,

I recently made the switch from the EVO 4G (had it since Dec '10) to the Nexus S 4G and quite honestly there NOTHING that I miss about my EVO, with the one exeption being the EVO has better cellular radios than the Nexus. Basically where I would get 3-4 bars with the EVO I get 1-2 on the Nexus, still not a big deal as I still get great reception, due to being in a really good coverage area.

There are many benefits to the Nexus, mainly that you will have direct updates coming from Google for the next 12 months, whereas the EVO 4G has reached "End of Life" meaning it will not receive future updates and support, but it's an 18 month old phone, and the fact that it has lasted this long, is a true testament to how great it was.

The main things that I prefer about the Nexus over the EVO is the beautiful AMOLED screen, it is super fast, uses Google Wallet (which I use ALL the time, really freaks out people at the cash register...lol) is very sleek and easy to hold. The battery life on the Nexus is slightly better than the EVO.

You have nothing to lose by getting the Nexus. Just be sure, if you get it from Craigslist, that you get the Total Equipment Protection when you add it to your Sprint account, because there could be something wrong with it. If so, the TEP insurance will get you a new or refurbished device for $100.

Ultimately, I made the switch and was glad that I did. I loved the EVO but I love the Nexus even more. It's Pure* Google, with no middle-man bloatware and interference with updates to it.

3. taylorcox75

taylorcox75 Lurker
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Im not going to BS you, but I JUST bought a Nexus S on CS, and am selling my Evo. I LOVE THE NEXUS! No buyers remorse! The screen, which I thought might be too small, was PERFECT, it takes better pictures, the screen is BEAUTIFUL DO IT!

4. Androidalltheway

Androidalltheway Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 29, 2009
    Male
    FL
    would anyone recommend the NS4g over the Evo 3d?

5. Spartanzz

Spartanzz Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 27, 2011

I'm not sure about that swap. Currently I have an evo 3D and we just bought my my fiance the nexus s 4g. The 3d performs much better (In my opinion) and does things the nexus can't. The screens aren't too different from what I can see the nexus may be alittle more vibrant but not by much. Yeah I'm not saying I hate the nexus because I almost got it till I herd the 3d was coming out. But having both phones side by side I still prefer the 3d. The only complaint I have with not. Have the nexus right now is that it is now able to have a version of ics which I'm really looking forward to having on my evo 3d

6. Androidalltheway

None

Dec 29, 2009
    Male
    FL
    How gaming on the NS4g? would i notice a difference in comparison to the evo 3d since the nexus only offers a 1ghz processor?

7. Androidalltheway

None

Dec 29, 2009
    Male
    FL
    I am considering the ns4g because it will be getting ICS which will make this phone stand out more then the others, especially the evo, plus I like its size and curved display, the evo 3d is somewhat uncomfortable to hold and make calls, plus reception for me has been just ok, and the speaker is the lowest I have hears, even with equalizer on, but again I heard Ns4g had the same issue

8. klau25

klau25 Lurker
    None

Dec 16, 2009
    I too just recently made the jump and am loving the nexus. getting ics first is huge for me. only 2 things that I do miss from the evr. the t9 prediction phone dialer and the led notification. other than that everything on the nexus is better. I'm loving how the nexus is thinner. this makes me realized how much I hate thick phones. I currently have a case on mine and it's still thinner than the evo without one. I was lucky and found one on cl for 175, and it is like new. met the guy at a sprint store and activated with no problems. pure android is the way to go for me from now on. no more stupid skin that takes up lots of memories and then you have to wait forever for your updates.

9. moto139

moto139 Newbie
    None

May 21, 2011
    Jack of all trades, master of none!
    Knoxville,TN
    Well I didn't switch from the Evo, I am coming from the Hero. I should have went with the Evo last year but the size was just a lil too big for me then. The Hero was my first introduction to android and I really liked it, but realized that it wasn't going to last me through my 2 year contract. Fast forward 10 months, I realized I was only gonna get a 75 dollar discount. $425 is more than wanted to spend to upgrade so I scanned CL for a week or so and found a NS4G for 150! Pure Android is the way to go, this thing is awesome! Getting ICS is a definite plus.

Tags: