• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Going from iphone 4 to Android, which phone?

I would have to agree. I purchased the HTC HD2 through tmobile and did a re-up on my contract. I was so disappointed with the preformance of the phone, i sold it on ebay for $400. I cancelled my contract, paid the $200 cancellation fee and went to sprint for the evo. The hardware is what sold me. I really like the hd2's hardware and the EVO was the identical hardware WITH MORE. Glad i made the switch and would pay the $200 cancellation fee all over again to get the EVO.

He's with AT&T

Upvote 0
Ok so Im getting either The Captivate or Desire. Any suggestions?

Im really torn...

Well, I'm quite sure you won't be disappointed with either of the two. Captivate has better hardware (but both phones are great in this regard and rock when it comes to speed and ability), Desire has better software (as in Sense) and looks/build quality.

First, ask yourself these questions:

Do you want to use a custom UI (like Sense or TouchWiz) or are willing to go for market alternatives? (Launcher Pro and similar - check out LauncherPro ) in which case both phones are the same.

Do you want to play 3D games? If so, Captivate is the way to go because of its OMAP based Hummingbird CPU. Also, there is a chance that it will be better with videos when it comes to battery performance, but not sure (more optimized GPU). Also, Desire has a worse multitouch sensor than Captivate. You won't notice this in apps, but some games may (or may not) 'feel' better on Captivate.

Are looks and the general feeling of a device important to you? If so, I say go Desire.

Do you plan on installing custom ROMs? Now, this is important. Even if you can settle for 2.2 now, it is not certain either of these phones will get Gingerbread "officially". And Ginger should be awesome. What is fairly certain, though, that you will be able to get a fully functional Gingerbread from a ported ROM. If this is important, again, Desire is the way to go - HTC popularity, HTC's loose policy when it comes to rooting, Nexus One compatibility, etc.

In the end, here's my thought on the matter. Technology is developing at such a pace these days that no matter which phone you choose, a new better one (hardware-wise) will come out in a few months or so. On the other hand, high end phones will serve you well for a while, I'm sure both phones will be usable for a year or two from now. So, I say - choose the phone that FEELS better to you. It doesn't matter if one has better hardware, it will be outdated soon anyway. So choose the one that feels good in your hand. That feels nice to have. Look at the details. Perhaps Captivate has a bevel that you like. Or maybe the beautiful Super AMOLED screen is what makes you tick. Or, perhaps you like the color finish of the Desire, or it's curved edges. I don't know, it's very personal. In the end, go with what you feel, not with specs.

Obviously I'm leaning towards the Desire (looks and feels much nicer than Samsung, IMO), but others will go for Captivate. Important thing is - they are both Android, which means, they are the future. And, as I said - whatever you choose, the moment you take the phone in your hand, you'll end up thinking you made the right choice. So, be impulsive and choose the one that comes to your mind first! :)

Good luck with your new Android.

Upvote 0
Lol yea i went with the nexus one, still an awesome phone and i got the one with att 3g, lol sold my iphone 4 on ebay bought the N1 and still have money left, im happy!

Good choice IMHO....plus, you are pretty much guaranteed receiving Gingerbread when it is released (and to be the first).

No matter how many times I try my wife's Desire, I still find it al little sluggish at times (though Froyo should improve this). Keep looking at the Galaxy S (the Euro equivalent of the Captivate) but don't like the build and unsure of TouchWiz.

Root it and enjoy the freedom!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones