1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Going from Rooted with 2.2 to Rooted 2.3

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Ospreyguy, Aug 18, 2011.

1. Ospreyguy

Ospreyguy Newbie
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    I didn't want to start a thread but couldn't find what i was looking for.

So I am rooted on 2.2 and never did the OTA update so I could keep all my goodies.

Now that we have the new revolutionary should I do the update then root or root then update?

Going from non-rooted to rooted makes sense to me but this I just don't get what I need to do... A little help would be greatly appreciated! :thinking:

Advertisement

2. Nein

Nein Member
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    Male
    School,.... Xd
    New Jersey
    i dont think it makes a difference considering there are roms for gingerbread that you can flash.

3. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    I would not unroot to accept the OTA. Revolutionary is still a beta and has a few bugs, besides accepting the OTA will upgrade your hboot which is not necessary. I would just flash the stock rooted rom that came with the OTA. You can find it here. The odex version is closest to stock. There are a bunch of Gingerbread roms that have sense 2.1 and 3.0 included that will not officially come to the Evo 4G. MikG 2.45 is an outstanding example of it. You can find the link for that here.

If you need instructions to flash a rom, Ocn put a section in the 2.3.3 rooting guide and Rooting for Dummies also has instructions in the "After rooting" section. If you still have questions, we can walk you through it.

4. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    when you are rooted and you want to get updated all you would have to do is just flash the rooted version of the ota or flash any other custom rom based off of that ota. this applies to any phone really that is rooted.

5. Ospreyguy

Ospreyguy Newbie
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Thanks everyone! I will give it a go when i am a bit more sober... It is Friday night after all!

6. Ospreyguy

Ospreyguy Newbie
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    I haven't had time to mess with this until now and I'm lost and getting loster....

Okay so I have the stock sense ROM running and it is rooted for a few apps and junk.

The new gingerbread update came out and I haven't updated.

If I download the stock rom here that will be like getting the OTA update for ginger - correct?

Also if I do this will that wipe out everything on my phone? I have titanium back up pro and everything is synced to drop box. Will that be enough to get me back to where I am now?

I seem to think that is what it will do but I am not sure...

All I really want is to get the updates as they come and still be able to do things like delete system apps, use Roam Control and tether... I like Sense and don't want screw everything up or give myself more work than I need.

Please take pity on this caveman beating a flashlight against a rock looking for fire...

7. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
    None

May 13, 2010
    Male
    being a flashaholic sponsor, helping others gettin
    los angeles
    you can use the stock ota but i guarantee you that you will love mikg2.45. it is a gingerbread rom but has sense 2.1 and some sense 3.0 mixed in. it is stock looking but runs way better then the stock ota. you can get it here: MikG v2.45 - Re-Engineered GB Sense 2.1 + 3.0

i would follow the steps to flash this here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/395962-guide-rooting-gingerbread-revolutionary.html. there is a section on how to flash a rom.

titanium backup will save your apps and its data. your message will not be saved you can use sms backup for that or some messaging apps like go sms pro can move them to the card. your contacts will sync with google after flashing it and signing in to google. but everything else will be lost. just make sure to do a nandroid backup before flashing a rom.

8. Ospreyguy

Ospreyguy Newbie
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Okay think I've got it. Thanks so much!

Tags: