• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Going Naked? Removed my case and no screen saver.

rkkeller

Android Enthusiast
Oct 25, 2010
The Dog Pound.
I bought a thin clear TPU case and put my S7 Edge in it almost as soon as I got it. Last night I was watching a lot of YT reviews and saw how nice the phone looks naked, next thing I know I was removing the case.

The phone is so thin and looks amazing. It also feels so good in my hand that I don't want to put it back on even though I know I should. It also now looks like the S7 Edge and not the look of just any other Android phone in a case.

Anyone else totally naked? FWIW, I did sign up for insurance thru my carrier also last night. :D

Reactions: ceva321 and KOLIO
Ever since I've had my S4 then the S6 Edge and the Edge + I never really needed a case. I think I dropped the S4 once. As long as you take care of the phone and are careful with it a case is up to the individual. I use cases myself just because of better grip for my hands, but I do use very basic cases, not ones like Otterboxes.
I never use screen protectors. If you like it without a case I say go for it.

Reactions: jack58 and mikedt
Upvote 0
As long as you take care of the phone and are careful with it a case is up to the individual. I use cases myself just because of better grip for my hands, but I do use very basic cases, not ones like Otterboxes.
I never use screen protectors. If you like it without a case I say go for it.

Yup, kinda like seat belts... :rolleyes: If you don't like'em don't use them. Not! Reality is accidents can and do happen no matter how careful you are... so wear your seat belt and have a protective smartphone case are the wise choices.

Reactions: ceva321 and mikedt
Upvote 0
Isn't the S7 glass back, like its predecessor, as well as iPhone 4. Although I've not actually seen or handled one, I should imagine it could be rather slippery in the hand. Yeh, no matter how careful you consider yourself to be, accidents can still happen, believe me. And of course glass impacting a hard surface....CRACK!! My back impacted a hard surface about a month ago, I've still got the hospital X-rays here to remind me of it, as well as some pain, and I did consider myself to be very careful on snow and ice.

My Ramos i9s tablet is glass back, looks and feels beautiful, but at the same time it makes me want to be rather precious with it, so I do keep it in a case. I keep my phone in flip-cover case as well, mainly because the flip-cover provides a means of turning it on, just by opening the cover.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Different strokes for different folks. I use the case whenever I travel, otherwise commando. Just make sure the insurance deductible is reasonable.
Different strokes for different folks. I use the case whenever I travel, otherwise commando. Just make sure the insurance deductible is reasonable.

Deductible, being without a phone for a period and then a crap shoot what your insurance sends out in regard to a replacement phone. I'll pass.. Hmmm, even with a case chitt can happen so insurance is mandatory.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I bought a thin clear TPU case and put my S7 Edge in it almost as soon as I got it. Last night I was watching a lot of YT reviews and saw how nice the phone looks naked, next thing I know I was removing the case.
The phone is so thin and looks amazing. It also feels so good in my hand that I don't want to put it back on even though I know I should. It also now looks like the S7 Edge and not the look of just any other Android phone in a case.
Anyone else totally naked? FWIW, I did sign up for insurance thru my carrier also last night. :D

There's definitely no right or wrong here.
As you,I prefer to not use a case. :thumbsupdroid:
However,I picked up a slim TPU case yesterday due to too many accidental touches,especially during game play.
The feel is different,not any better or worse,but,I'd really like a ruggedized version of this phone,a la the S4/S5/S6 Active line-up,no case required............

Upvote 0
To be honest, I think I put a case on the phone not so much because of me but because of others. All it takes is for me to be using my phone and someone jostling me or my hands, and poof, there goes the phone on the ground. A few years back, I recall someone jogging to catch the bus, and his new iPhone6 slipped out of his pocket and onto the ground, shattering the front screen. But, that doesn't go for everyone. Being in such a big city with people everywhere and being pushed up against others in mass transportation makes me real conscious - there really is no concept of personal space on the subway. Hahaha!

However, if people didn't wear it naked or with slim cases, I wouldn't be able to tell others who had the same phone as easily - which sometimes I do try to see. :)

Upvote 0
I would prefer a thin case, but I've been allergic to the plastic in every case I've ever bought, so I've never had one on a phone. I actually prefer it that way. I'm pretty careful.
Samsung will have a leather case for both the S7 & S7 Edge in a couple of week,on the chance you want to un-commando:
http://www.mobilefun.com/58015-official-samsung-galaxy-s7-leather-cover-black.htm
http://www.mobilefun.com/58016-official-samsung-galaxy-s7-leather-cover-brown.htm
58015.jpg
58016.jpg

http://www.mobilefun.com/58017-official-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-leather-cover-black.htm
http://www.mobilefun.com/58018-official-samsung-galaxy-s7-edge-leather-cover-brown.htm

58017.jpg
58018.jpg

Upvote 0
Good Grief... why get a fancy phone if your gonna cover it up and it looks like all the other phones out there. You might as well pay for a plain jane phone that works almost as well if your gonna cover it up I laugh at those that wait months to get their fancy new phone, then they immediately cover 'em up.
Me? I have put a case on my last 4 phones... guess what, not a SCRATCH on any of them... S5 not shown as I traded it for the Note 4 which I put carbon fiber on.
3Samsung.jpg

So, it is NAKED for my new S7 Edge when it gets here. You wouldn't cover up a brand new Corvette wouldja? ;)

Upvote 0
Good Grief... why get a fancy phone if your gonna cover it up and it looks like all the other phones out there. You might as well pay for a plain jane phone that works almost as well if your gonna cover it up I laugh at those that wait months to get their fancy new phone, then they immediately cover 'em up.
Me? I have put a case on my last 4 phones... guess what, not a SCRATCH on any of them... S5 not shown as I traded it for the Note 4 which I put carbon fiber on.
3Samsung.jpg

So, it is NAKED for my new S7 Edge when it gets here. You wouldn't cover up a brand new Corvette wouldja? ;)
Well, to be honest, I buy the phones because of the features and capabilities and not much at all for the looks so I'm not concerned about what people see me holding. I think many Android users do the same. Otherwise it would be so iPhone like to buy for just for the looks.

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
Naked, carry it around in a slip pull tab pouch. All other cases for me just make any decently sized phone a bit too bulky. And don't look that good in the hand ;)

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, I ordered a Spigen Ultra Hybrid Crystal Clear Clear back panel TPU from amazon and tried to cancel the order yesterday but was too late - it was about to ship. I am liking your idea and will probably go that route.

Reactions: bIOforger
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones