1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Going on my 5th TBolt... How many is too much!?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cdaniel525, Jan 4, 2012.

1. cdaniel525

cdaniel525 Lurker
    None

Sep 28, 2011
    Ive now developed another issue on my 4th Thunderbolt, that I am sure VZW will send me a 5th TBolt...

Sorry to vent here but this is getting ridiculous. How many of you have seen people going through this many phones??

1st Brand New issues
    - Front Facing camera not working, refurbished phone sent
    - SD card stopped working alltogether, replaced by Sandisk completely independent of VZQ & HTC

2nd Phone, Data connection issues, refurbished phone sent

3rd Phone, Middle of touch screen stopped working, refurbished phone sent

4th Phone now, Camera app wont open at all... Ive already factory data reset and no dice so im sure theyll send me a 5th phone.

Do I have any shot getting VZW sending me a new Nexus or Razr since this is out of hand at this point??
    If so, how did you convince them??
    If not, isnt there something that Verizon should be doing to make up for my frustration and time setting up the phone and dealing with broken phones??

Sorry again,
    Chris

Advertisement

2. tbzj7

tbzj7 Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 21, 2011
    You might have a chance of Verizon upgrading you if you give them a hard time about all the trouble you've had. They might do an early upgrade...

3. 00smurf

00smurf Member
    None

Jan 8, 2010

I've personally been through 5 iPhones. And probably no luck in a brand new phone the most they may do is a CLNR o a lesser phone for a different model.

4. angldvl81

angldvl81 Android Expert
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Female
    my job
    AZ
    I'm about to receive my 2nd tb, but my insurance (diamond wireless) provides new, not refurbs

5. fdnj48

fdnj48 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 13, 2010
    Male
    Central Jersey
    The last time I had issues like that Verizon finally agreed to give me a different model phone but it would have been a refurbished unit of whichever I chose(it wouldnt have come with anything but the phone, no charger nothing). I said screw that and just let them keep sending me Thunderbolts til I got a usable one

6. markdoc

markdoc Android Enthusiast

Jun 28, 2011
    Male
    Retired Dentist
    New York City, NY, USA
    I had the same problem. I was going on my 6th refurb and decided enough is enough. It all depends on who you talk to at Verizon. Only the higher level techs have the authority or the knowledge to give you a new phone or a different model. The first time I called, after going through 5 refurbished, I was told only HTC could give me a new phone, Verizon couldn't. Well I called HTC & they don't give new phones. When I called Verizon back, I got a higher level tech who could & would work with me. He offered me a refurbished of a different model for free or a few new phones (less advanceed) for free also. If I was willing, I could get a new Tbolt for $50 or he would start my contract over again & I could get any phone I wanted with a $100 discount. It wasn't perfect, but all in all it was a better deal than a 6th refurbished. I went with a new Bionic with a $100 discount because he said that Tbolts had more problems than most phones. He said they had much better luck with the Pantech or the Bionic. The Pantech would have been free but I thought it was way inferior to the Tbolt or Bionic. I went with the Bionic and after I hung up I realized that I lost the money I spent on my Tbolt accessories. If I don't like the Bionic, I'll probably switch it back for a new Tbolt and prey. I think it's important to remember that loosing your temper rarely helps & if your not happy with the tech your talking to, ask to speak with a supervisor. If you're too timid to ask, then just hang up and call back. You may get a nicer tech the 2nd time. Good luck.

7. TJGoSurf

TJGoSurf Android Expert
    None

Jan 9, 2010
    Male
    Oil Engineer stuff
    CO
    I had four Thunderbolts. Best way to get something done, after multiple refurbs, is to contact the BBB. Someone will get back to you in about a week. They sent me a brand new phone for free, and overnight shipping.

8. TxGoat

TxGoat Guest
    None
    It took me 6 refurbs before they decided to give me an early upgrade. I thought about it for awhile. What it came across as, "We'll give you the privilege of throwing more money at us". Took me about 2 months of issues with the Thunderbolt to finally give up and get the Rezound. I'm glad I did. I'm getting a good 4G signal in locations that I'd never get 4G with the Thunderbolt.

9. RJSH_1727

RJSH_1727 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 18, 2010

Sounds like the exact same things my friend and I went through when we had the lovely Droid Charge! Smh.. she was going on her 5th and was able to get the Bionic. I was going on my 4th and when I first called, I was offered 3 low-end phones: Pantech, the Stratosphere, and the LG Rally or whatever it's called.

When I called back again, it was with a Manager and he was deadset on trying to get me to get the TB! I was telling him how my friend went thru the same issues and # of phones and was given the Bionic. I told him I DEF didn't want it from all the issues and horrible battery life. He convinced me a lot had been improved with the TB since the GB update. I got his name & # and told him if it gave me problems, I was gonna blame him.

I've had this TB since November 18, and it has been GREAT! I've only had a few random reboots, and it seems to do that after I update certain apps. Not like the 100 Reboots I got on the Charge. Plus, no freezes or lags... It has been great!

10. Washuai

Washuai Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    I was really worried I was headed down this path. The last update, seems to have stabilized the reboots. Time will tell.
    Early upgrade sounds good at first, but paying to replace a crap phone and having to pay to replace all the accessories is really them still charging me for their bad service.

I'd say if the third one fails a fourth replacement is too much, but unless you root, you cannot properly back up and restore your phone, which going through app data loss three times is not acceptable, either. Given the history so many have had with this phone, my personal feeling is if the first refurb doesn't work, then its too much. Especially since even with just one replacement, I've had months worth of issues.