• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Going through headphones fast

MintHorseGuy

Lurker
Oct 10, 2014
I've gone through three pairs of headphones within the last few weeks, all of them losing one side.

I'm just wondering if it could be my phone that's destroying my headphones? They were all cheap headphones, around $15, but they should be lasting longer than a few days. I plan on buying an expensive pair of headphones soon but I'm hesitant because I don't want my phone just breaking them.

Could it be my phone? Is their anyway I could check?

I've gone through three pairs of headphones within the last few weeks, all of them losing one side.

I'm just wondering if it could be my phone that's destroying my headphones? They were all cheap headphones, around $15, but they should be lasting longer than a few days. I plan on buying an expensive pair of headphones soon but I'm hesitant because I don't want my phone just breaking them.

Do you constantly have your headphones on your head all the time or do you sometimes store them in your pocket?

Greetings :)

Upvote 0
when you say "gone through" what do you mean exactly.

IE - do they not work at all - does one side stop playing - are they headset equiped with a mic and a button - etc.

electronically speaking - your phone shouldn't be able to kill them. As In - the phone's headphone jack shouldn't put out enough power to pop the voice coils or the over extend the diaphrams in the pieces.

while it is possible you have a very hot jack - if that was the case you'd have other issues.

inspect your headphones that you've gone through and see if the wires looked broked, tugged etc. I see many people talking them off and out by tugging at the wires either to unplug from the phone or to get off their heads. thin, weak wires - break easily.

Upvote 0

Did you make sure that the settings aren't set to force the headphones into mono? Rather than assuming it's a hardware issue, I would go through all the settings first, just to be sure. In addition to that, when I used to plug in directly to the phone via 3.5mm jack, I realized that I wasn't quite pushing the connector into the socket fully, which caused the headphones/headset to go into mono vs. stereo. I experienced this a lot, back in the day, when I had the HTC Evo.

Other than that, I'd also check the headphones/headsets with other devices that have a 3.5mm jack, in case they are still working well and you just didn't realize it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones