1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Going to Android! But just one problem...

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Sydroid, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Sydroid

Sydroid Newbie

After a long period of thought, I am pretty sure I'll be going to Android from Apple.
    I don't want those huge 10 or 9 inch tablets, but rather the devices that are 'phablet size' (like the Galaxy Note 2), or the size of the upcoming Galaxy Tab 3 8.0.

I'm more inclined to get the phablet, because it fits in my pocket so easily, and the Android OS looks absolutely superb on that. However, I go to a boarding school, and phones are not allowed. I might be allowed the device, however, if I can disable the dailing and messaging features of the phablet. If a root it, is it possible, especially for a Android tyro like me to do?

(I'd like it so that I can browse on my device using 3G, but I cannot call or message...)

If it doesn't work out, and if the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 doesn't fit in my pocket, I'll probably just go iPad mini, so help me out guys! :thumb:

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

A Nexus 7 and Tab 3 7.0 are smaller than the 8.0 and have WiFi only versions with no phone capability.

funkylogik and argedion like this.
  3. aysiu

aysiu Android Expert

I've never tried this myself, but I know you can disable individual apps, so you might be able to disable the dialer and messenger apps individually and then restore them when the school day is done. Not sure if that'll convince the school administrators...

funkylogik likes this.
  4. qandres12

qandres12 Android Expert

If you use Titanium Backup after rooting your device you can freeze app through it but you need the paid version for that. But it could caiae issues since those are major parts of the phone. Freeze it and it could cause other apps that rely on it to force close and what not. It would be better just getting a wifi only tablet, if your school has wifi

5. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog

I agree with chanchan go with a nexus or galaxy wifi only and the school should have no issues with that as its not a dial out phone.

6. gtbarry

gtbarry Android Expert

I agree the Nexus 7 would be a great idea.

Also, you don't mention how and why the school does not allow phones. Do they not allow phones at all? Or, only in certain areas or times? As, if you own the Note, you can simply put it in airplane mode and it literally becomes a tablet. But the school may not accept this reasoning. Will they check?

7. Sydroid

Sydroid Newbie

A few things I would like to say:
    1) Thank you all for the help so far,
    2) However, I find 7" inch screens to small for my liking, and thus I do not fancy the Nexus 7 or other such tablets.
    3) Airplane mode would not be accepted because I could just turn it off and call someone so easily. It wouldn't be allowed. But I do not want just a WiFi version - I want to be able to browse via GSM...

I see I may have to pass up the Note 2 and for the Tab 3 8.0 when it comes out July 7th. What do you guys think?

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Well, I'm a little confused as to how you're ok with a 5inch Note 2 but find a 7inch tablet too small

hutgap likes this.
  9. Sydroid

Sydroid Newbie

I apologize for the seemingly lack of inconsistency -
    (I'm going to put make Apple comparisons, because that is what I am used to)

I consider the Galaxy Note 2 something like the iPod touch; something that fits always in one hand and is meant to be carried around in your pocket. Since it's in this class of product, I find it's 5 inch size marvelous. It not only fits snugly into pockets, but also presents a screen-size you can plunge your entire face into.

The Nexus 7, however, is too large to always fit into the traditional pocket very easily and sometimes requires two hands, so I place it into the category of 'small tablets'. But I find 7 inches simply too cramped for such a tablet, while I find 7.7 - 8 inches absolutely perfect (which just happens to be the size of the iPad mini and the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0)

I've done some more research, and I doubt I'll a novice like me will ever be able to remove the phone and messaging features, while creating 3G connectivity to browse to convince the superiors.

So...
    I think I'm definitely going with the Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. Beautiful device. The only thing, I can't seem to preorder the 3G version anywhere. Only the WiFi-only version seems to be order-able. It's going to be officially released July 7th, so is this normal? Can I only get the 3G version the day of release?

If I can get this answered, I think I'll be ready to go! :thumb: Thank you all for the help so far.

10. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

The 3G version of the Tab will have SMS and calling capabilities, so your school won't allow it. You'd have to get the WiFi version.

Sydroid likes this.
  11. Sydroid

Sydroid Newbie

Thank you very much, chanchan05. You've been a great help.
    Your post has also been thanked :)

Problem solved.