• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Going to Malta please help with phone bill

vwgolfman

Nov 10, 2010
Hi,
Next week I am going to Malta for a week.
My provider is O2.
I am on a monthly simplicity tariff.
600 minutes, unlimited texts and 500MB/month.
Please may I ask advice on how to minimise my expenses when using my phone (Galaxy S2) there?

I shall want to use it in the following manner (as long as it doesn't cost the Earth)....

I will want to be able to receive texts although I will send very few.
I could do with being able to pick up the odd email.

I believe I can turn off roaming but what does this actually stop my phone doing?
I guess I will be charged heavily for phone calls and texts?
Will I be charged extra on top of what I already pay for receiving phone calls and texts or will the person contacting me have to foot the bill?

Am I right in thinking I can also deactivate data network mode?
I presume this stops data from being sent and received?

Many thanks for any help.

I would advise contacting O2 direct and explain your destination and ask if there are any Passports, Bolt-on's or one-off blanket roaming charges you could pay.

Vodafone offer me a similar service whilst abroad. Also, if you are staying in a hotel, ask if they have WiFi installed. Some hotels allow WiFi for a small one off payment or provide it free. This can save you

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones