• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Going to SBF for the first time tonight...any suggestions?

You really can't brick it... make sure you have a fully charged battery. Follow these instructions here SBF’ing the Droid X U D G . It will walk you through it step by step. Don't skip any steps (including the one where you download the drivers, even if you have before, it never hurts). Also, if you have a problem, just post it here, someone will be up and around to help... cough cough Stephen?

Reactions: darkcyber
Upvote 0
This is the .sbf file you will want btw... its the last on in his guide... but I felt like posting it here... http://bit.ly/hfp9iY

It is in .zip format... unzip it before opening inside of RSD Lite.

I have read about unzipping it because it was a double zip file. Just curious, when I unzip it is it suppose to be a .sbf extension or a .zip extension?

Upvote 0
It will be a .sbf extension

Also if you are running Windows 7, be prepared that RSD Lite can be picky with this program at times. I could not SBF on my Windows 7 computer and had to try it on a computer that had Windows XP. Just something to be aware of.

Thanks! I had already read numerous posts about Windows 7 and I had everything ready to go on my Windows 7 pc and then decided to move it all over to my Windows XP laptop and going to do it from there tomorrow. I had to watch the final show of Survivor tonight, so my GB installation got pushed back until tomorrow :)

Upvote 0
Ya i SBF'd last night 4.7 RSD gives errors make sure u use 4.9 and then after its done it says to manually reboot ur phone and it potentially can bootloop (happened to me) you just have to do a factory reset reactivate your phone and your golden just follow the steps on rooolers site. It only takes like 5-10 minutes once u have everything downloaded.

Upvote 0
Ok, just got through doing the sbf thing and after it finished and before I remove it from USB it was showing the Liberty bootup splash screen. I removed the USB and tried to power up the phone but all I got was that Liberty splash screen. So, I pulled the battery and powered up the phone and still get the same thing. So, how long do I need to wait before I take the bootloop steps? How long should it take to boot up?

Upvote 0
Ok, just got through doing the sbf thing and after it finished and before I remove it from USB it was showing the Liberty bootup splash screen. I removed the USB and tried to power up the phone but all I got was that Liberty splash screen. So, I pulled the battery and powered up the phone and still get the same thing. So, how long do I need to wait before I take the bootloop steps? How long should it take to boot up?

EDIT: Went ahead and ran the steps to get into the factory recovery and did the data wipe and factory reset and booting up now. :D

Upvote 0
Ok, got through the sbf and got my X backup and activated but having a time getting Z4Root to root it now. It has been so long since I rooted mine...how long does it take for Z4Root to root it? It seems like it is just sitting and spinning and spinning. I have restarted it about 3 times and still spinning.

So, how long should it be taking?

EDIT: I got it. I uninstalled Z4Root and rebooted. Reinstalled Z4root and rebooted and then ran it and worked like a charm. :) Now to get GB .595 on there.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones