• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Golf GPS apps

I think I will be ready for some testers for a GPS Golf application. This will be my first Android application so I am looking for someone that is a little tech savvy (knows how to install 3rd party application etc..).

The application right now is bare-boned and can only display some GPS information. I am hoping to have it done by the end of the week or sooner. :p

I currently don't have an Android device so if you don't even golf and just want to help out a developer then that would be great to!

Send me an email at howfarami [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks,
Ash

Upvote 0
I think I will be ready for some testers for a GPS Golf application. This will be my first Android application so I am looking for someone that is a little tech savvy (knows how to install 3rd party application etc..).

The application right now is bare-boned and can only display some GPS information. I am hoping to have it done by the end of the week or sooner. :p

I currently don't have an Android device so if you don't even golf and just want to help out a developer then that would be great to!

Send me an email at howfarami [at] gmail [dot] com.

Thanks,
Ash

Any update on this?

Upvote 0
I have been using the iGolf app on my buddies iPhone. It's amazing. I start the app and it automatically displays a list of courses within my area. I select my course and I'm playing. The course images are awesome. We tries a couple other golf apps on his iPhone but the suck compared to the iGolf app.

I'm hoping the release an android version soon so I can load it on my Passion/Bravo/Nexus.

Upvote 0
I recommend GPSCaddy. There's a free trial version and the paid version is a one-off cost of about $20. It's specially designed for Android phones and has great graphics of the hole you're playing. Excellent support too - they'll quickly map your local course if the map's not already available.

Upvote 0
I used NRange with my Blackberry and now use it on my Droid X.

NRange: Many, many courses. No course downloads!! They will map courses for you if not available. Very responsive to e-mails. Good battery life. If you are off the beaten path, you can map yardage via aerial views. Can measures shot distances.
Kind of 'bare bones' but not in a bad way. You get front, middle, back of green distances. You CAN map your greens if you want more accuracy however. You don't get 'layup yardages' however.
I like it for it's simplicity.

Golf Logix: Must download it from Golf Logix(I see is now on the market and app brain). Works awesomely. But is a huge battery hog!!! You must turn your screen off constantly if you plan to make it the 4 hours of a round. Must download courses. It takes a minute or so, so download before you get to the course. Has layup yardages to almost everything. My favorite is 'layup to 100 yards'. That is my scoring range.
Can enter scores, fairways hit, etc and can be a pain to have to do that and keep moving at the same time. A very good golf GPS app for sure.

Upvote 0

+100!

This app is far and away better than the others. I LOVE the fact that you can use satellite images to get yardages to hazards. And, it doesn't eat the battery too bad either. I recently played a round with it on the whole round and still had sufficient battery. I charged it in the car on the way to the course and on the way home.

GREAT app!

Upvote 0
I use Skydroid too but it's only as good as the people who mapped the courses. How it works is that someone who knows the course logs onto the Skydroid website, uses Google maps to place 3 markers on each green for front, middle and back. That user can also, if they choose, mark various hazards but it may or may not be done.

So...if you're not going to map each course you play by yourself, major accuracy can't be guaranteed. Having said that, I've had pretty good luck with each course I've played. I've also mapped a course and it's pretty simple, just takes a little time.

Anyway, just wanted everyone to know exactly what they're getting. It's worth the small pricetag IMO.

Upvote 0
I've used skydroid a few times and mapped one course myself. It is pretty good most of the time. There seems to be some lag with the gps info sometimes. But that may be the case with any of these apps.
I hadn't used any rangefinders in the past, and I frankly don't use it much. I just don't hit or control the ball consistently enough to worry about a few yards difference.
What I really need is a two-putt app.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones