• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root gonna be editing the rom/kernel list in the next few weeks

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    hey guys,
    so i will be making some changes to the http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/284413-roms-kernels-download-page.html in the following weeks. gonna be changing how the thread is organized, adding and deleting roms, and other changes.

so now is a good time for suggestions on roms and kernels you want added to the list or anything you will like to be in the thread.

i also changed and opened a poll. if you want for me to change the poll question let me know as well.

ok so i moved my post to a new dedicated thread. i will most likely move all of the 4.24-4.54 ota roms down to the second post and leave 4.67 and 5.07 rom's up. i will most likely be editing the beta's section and create an ICS section. i will be deleting the direct download links, but leave the link to the rom's/kernel's op. i will be testing to see what links still works and what does not. those that have broken links will be taken down.

any other ideas or suggestions please post here.

thanx.

Upvote 0
    Good luck with that!

i wonder what ever happened to that sprint lovers rom that had the radios in it?

That just popped into my head for some reason, think it helped somebody out one time then next time the link didn't work.

well the original one was froyo. when gingerbread came around a new dev decided to make one for 4.24(i think) that was inspired by the original. not sure on if the link still works or not but i will look into it.

any roms you would like to see in the guide, please post it and i will added it in.

Upvote 0
    well the original one was froyo. when gingerbread came around a new dev decided to make one for 4.24(i think) that was inspired by the original. not sure on if the link still works or not but i will look into it.

any roms you would like to see in the guide, please post it and i will added it in.
    That looks like ALOT of work and very much appreciative of your work also.:D
    I think it goes without saying that MikG3.11 and Decks Reloaded should be included...(I guess I'm kinda biased towards those 2 since those are the only ones I have run so far....perhaps Papa smurfs CM9 (?) rom)
    The mason kernels I see are in there but only to v.14...
    You can use some of the links in my sig.
    Thanks Ocn!!

Upvote 0
    That looks like ALOT of work and very much appreciative of your work also.:D
    I think it goes without saying that MikG3.11 and Decks Reloaded should be included...(I guess I'm kinda biased towards those 2 since those are the only ones I have run so far....perhaps Papa smurfs CM9 (?) rom)
    You can use some of the links in my sig.
    Thanks Ocn!!

yeah that is why i said that this will happen in the following weeks. it will happen slowly as this will take some time for this list to get back up to date again. and yes i do plan on keeping mikg3.11 to the list. i will add deck's reloaded for sure.

please keep the rom/kernel suggestions coming.

Upvote 0
    What a daunting task.

Let me know if you want me to take on a section

Thanks Ocn!!

.14 is technically the most current, since .15 hasnt officially been released based on the Xda thread. About all you could do is add a link to his blog.

In my opinion, we need to do away with direct linking to any builds. Link to XDA (or the mikmik if thats where the xda thread ultimately links) so that information within the guide is always kept up to date. This will also require a lot less upkeep

Upvote 0
    What a daunting task.

Let me know if you want me to take on a section

.14 is technically the most current, since .15 hasnt officially been released based on the Xda thread. About all you could do is add a link to his blog.

In my opinion, we need to do away with direct linking to any builds. Link to XDA (or the mikmik if thats where the xda thread ultimately links) so that information within the guide is always kept up to date. This will also require a lot less upkeep
    yeah i agree not using direct download links. it will force everyone to go to the op for the rom of their choice and read thru it to get to the download link.

i'm also thinking of combining all the ota's(4.24, 4.53, 4.54, 4.67, and 5.07) together using the hide tag, thoughts?

Reactions: Mikestony
    Upvote 0
    i'm also thinking of combining all the ota's(4.24, 4.53, 4.54, 4.67, and 5.07) together using the hide tag, thoughts?

Agreed.

We could probably trim a few of those out as well, I don't know any reason for people to use 4.24 or 4.53.

I could understand wanting to use 4.54 to limit issues with FFC on some kernels, but builds older than that are probably dated.

That may be a discussion for another time though

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0

yeah i agree not using direct download links. it will force everyone to go to the op for the rom of their choice and read thru it to get to the download link.
    I can understand that....
    Such as, people click on my sig. link to the kernel I am running without some info about it and what rom/phone etc it is for.
    Good thinkin guys...;)

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    I can understand that....
    Such as, people click on my sig. link to the kernel I am running without some info about it and what rom/phone etc it is for.
    Good thinkin guys...;)

I was talking about for the guide. If you wanted to add a link to the thread into your sig as well as the direct link I think theres nothing wrong with that.

The problem is when the guides have direct download links, you have to update the guide each time any ROM releases an update. If you just link to the XDA thread, you only have to add new ROMS as they becoem available and clean out ones that are obsolete

Edit: for clarity purposes, when I say guide above I'm talking about hte ROM & Kernel download page

Upvote 0
    Upvote 0
    IMHO, the updated thread should have Deck's ReLoaded, MikG, DigitalKarma and Evo Classic in a class by themselves, and then sort out everything else. Just an idea.

the issue is how to organize it into the op. i will definitely add them. maybe we can do something like editor's choice or staff picks?

Upvote 0
    Possibly a stable or everything works catagory. Might be good for beginners. I see some flash right to a 3.5 or ics then think its a big hasle to find out stuff dont work. or even a top 4 or 5 roms.

I think that would be what were going for with a staff picks category. A list of 5 or so rock solid roms for those who cant decide to flash

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones