1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Good android phone at the $200-$250 mark

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ttpm15, Apr 12, 2012.

1. ttpm15

ttpm15 Newbie

I'm currently using a Nexus S 4g with bad esn as a "ipod touch alike" running Cyangenmod 9 and i love it.
    since i'm using T-Mobile and the nexus s have bad esn, i have to carry a cheap feature phone with recessive touch screen and i hate it ( i can't text fast on that phone and it is bulky to carry two devices )

i think a Used Nexus S 4g on sprint with bad esn will sell for around $140 on ebay, after ebay and paypal ridiculous fees i think i will get around $110 in my hand. i have around $120 in my pocket atm.

i'm thinking about get a Nexus S GSM version but Nexus S only have 16 GB of internal memory and no SD card slot, my music collection alone is already at 12 GB.

i heard the Atrix is a good Android at around $250 mark, but i'm still unsure.

Must have :
    * Front facing camera
    * Micro SD card slot ( or at least 32 GB on internal memory )
    * 3.5 mm Headphone Jack
    * GSM ( i'll be using it on T-mobile, i'm not planning on using data at all )
    * Upgradable to ICS ( or at least work with CM9 )
    * Have at least a single core 1GHZ CPU and 512 MB of ram.
    * UNDER $250 Used.

p/s : is it possible to use unlock phone without data plan on T-mobile ? i'm currently on a family unlimited texts + minutes plan, no Data and i'm not planing on using Data at all, i spend 90% of my day in a Wifi zone.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Andy in NY

Andy in NY Well-Known Member

most carriers require a data plan on smartphones weather or not you got the phone subsidized. and they usually dont care if you dont plan to use it. a smartphone is a smartphone, and they require data on any of the major post paid carriers.

3. ttpm15

ttpm15 Newbie

really ? i thought you only required to have a data plan if you buy a subsidize phone, because thats how they make the money back.
    can they tell that you have a smartphone ? can i just take my sim card from a dumb phone and put it in a smartphone ?
    p.s : i can pay up to $300 but i would prefer to stay at the $250 mark

4. ttpm15

ttpm15 Newbie

so i look at a few threads on t-mobile support forum, most of them said that they will not force you to sign up for a data plan.

they only make you sign up with a data plan when you buy a subsidize phone from them.

5. rui-no-onna

rui-no-onna Android Enthusiast

T-Mobile is the exception. Thank goodness the AT&T merger didn't go through. AT&T forces a data plan on you if you have a smartphone (Android, Blackberry, iOS or WP7). For CDMA carriers, as far as I'm aware, service is tied to the ESN so I don't see how you can activate a smartphone on Verizon or Sprint without them knowing that it's a smartphone.

For AT&T, they seem to do it based on IMEI. Good news is, AT&T doesn't recognize all Android smartphones (e.g. T-Mobile branded, international models). Bad news, they do seem to recognize the Nexus line.

Since you're on T-Mobile, though, you don't have to worry. They seem to be the last reasonable carrier around.

6. ttpm15

ttpm15 Newbie

is atrix a good phone at the 200- 250 range ? the screen doesn't look as good as nexus s 4g ( as least in the picture i found )

7. ttpm15

ttpm15 Newbie

BUMP !!!!!!!!!!, no one can help me on this ?

8. ttpm15

ttpm15 Newbie

bump !!!!!!!

9. persim

persim Guest

Take a look at the Sony Ericsson Experia Arc S. It fills all your requirements and is getting updated to ICS. It can be had for $250-300 brand new depending on the color. Never had a Sony phone but it appears to get decent reviews.