• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good app for advanced WiFi settings/rules?

ejdme

Lurker
Feb 6, 2011
I'm looking for something that will let me customize WiFi settings on a per-SSID basis. Specifically, I need to be able to have my phone automatically use a static IP and DNS when I'm connected to my home network, but just use DHCP when I connect to anything else. Right now I have to go into settings and check/uncheck the "Use static IP" box every time, which is annoying.. Any suggestions?

Might be missing somehting but couldn't you set up the DHCP reservation on your home router (so your phone always gets the same IP at home) and then let your company DHCP dish up an IP for you when you're at work?

If this doesn't sdo what you're after I would recomend Tasker, although as said before the learning curve is a bit steep

Upvote 0
Tasker. But beware that it has a steep learning curve.

Download from the developer's site to get a seven day trial.
I can't find an option in there to toggle "Use static IP".
Might be missing somehting but couldn't you set up the DHCP reservation on your home router (so your phone always gets the same IP at home) and then let your company DHCP dish up an IP for you when you're at work?

If this doesn't sdo what you're after I would recomend Tasker, although as said before the learning curve is a bit steep
For some reason, I can't access the Internet at home on my phone unless I set the DNS server to my router manually.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones