• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good Battery usage app?

ok.. so why is Standby consuming 50% battery? Wouldn't you think that standby actually uses less battery? My usage is
Cell Standby - 50%
Phone Idle - 15%
Android System - 15%
Mediaserver - 9%
wi-fi - 7%
Display 4%

Do a search for "airplane mode trick", or something like that for more information on that.

The cell standby is a glitch.

I believe the trick goes something like this:

Put phone is airplane mode
Connect to charger
Wait until screen turns off (not positive this step in necessary)
Disconnect from charger
Go back to normal mode.

50% standby will be gone

Upvote 0
The airplane mode trick is even easier than that.
Put the phone in Airplane mode - look around the room for a bit while humming the Jeopardy theme - take phone out of airplane mode. There isn't really any need to put it on the charger and such. After that the 50% number will gradually decrease as time passes.

That said, the general consensus around here these days seems to be that the 50% bug is not anything to really worry about, it's not actually using your battery any faster than the phone would use it anyway.

Upvote 0
hmm... well something is dragging my battery down fast. I'm charging it like every 4 to 5 hours now. I'll try the airplane mode trick and see if that helps at all. thanks

No, what you are describing is not the 50% bug. That bug is seen when you open system standby and look at "Time Without Signal" which may or may not say 50% on your phone. You have an issue going on if you phone is using 50% of battery for standby. You likely have a rogue app. Definitely try one of the programs mentioned above. Also, have you done a good old reboot on your phone?

Oh...also, are you rooted or are you on the stock 2.1?--Nevermind...just looked at your profile info and see that you are rooted and on EE 3

Upvote 0
No, what you are describing is not the 50% bug. That bug is seen when you open system standby and look at "Time Without Signal" which may or may not say 50% on your phone. You have an issue going on if you phone is using 50% of battery for standby. You likely have a rogue app. Definitely try one of the programs mentioned above. Also, have you done a good old reboot on your phone?

Oh...also, are you rooted or are you on the stock 2.1?--Nevermind...just looked at your profile info and see that you are rooted and on EE 3

Ok, I actually had that 50% time without signal anyway, so got that cleared up, but it also seemed to knock my Cell Standby down to 25%. I usually do at least a warm reboot every 2 or 3 days by holding Call + End + Vol Up, but I try to do a cold boot at least once a week. I have done a few cold ones since I started having these little issues, which started up as soon as I installed EE3.

Another thing I noticed is that my phones Awake Time seems to be mirroring my phones Up Time. I read Caddys stickied thread, but I really wasn't able to do the fix exactly since Handcent was one of the very first apps I installed and then immediately disabled the notifications of the stock SMS.

Is SetCPU supposed to switch profiles as soon as it wakes up or is it typical to not always switch right away and take up to 5 minutes sometimes? I suspect all these issues are related to one thing since they are somewhat related things being affected, but I can't for life of me nail down the culprit. I don't have a lot of different apps installed honestly. I think all of the apps I installed have been unanimously been deemed as good apps in these forums and I never install anything less than at least 4 stars and I do read the comments.

Upvote 0
just an FYI.. installed apps are:

Astro
Battery Status Pro
CacheCleaner
Handcent
Last.fm
My Verizon Mobile
Pandora
SetCPU
Spare Parts
Sportstap
SynchMyPix
The Weather Channel
Unistaller Pro

and Wi-fi, Bluetooth,GPS, and Brightness all turned off.

Something still draining battery.. 95% down to 86% in 45 minutes

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones