1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Accessories Good brand of glass screen protector?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by dewalist, Apr 11, 2016.

1. dewalist

dewalist Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Connecticut
    Hi all,
    I bought a two-pack of TruShield glass screen protectors. The first one had a "halo" effect because the far edges of all sides did not stick well. I thought maybe I just screwed up the installation, despite having done this many times on other phones. That first one cracked after a few months, and when I applied the second one, I had the exact same issue with the edges (despite doing two other devices at the same time with no issues). In looking at reviews on Amazon, this seems to be a common complaint, specifically with the Nexus 6. Someone mentioned that it was because the 6 has a slightly curved screen, but I wasn't aware of that. Do you guys had better luck than me with glass screen protectors? If so, which brand?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Hi - this is a tricky one. The N6 screen edges are slightly curved, so it is hard to find a screen protector that will cover without halo.
    I ended up trying several and none of them were good. Ended up with one by "Jelly Comb" - this doesn't have the Halo issue, but that is because it doesn't cover 100% of the screen. It leaves about 1.5 mm or so exposed around the edge on all sides (that's where the curve is)

electricpete and dewalist like this.
  3. dewalist

dewalist Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Connecticut
    Thanks! I was afraid of that... I'll look at that one, otherwise I may go with the plastic kind instead.

4. electricpete

electricpete Android Expert

Jan 7, 2012
    Male
    Electrical Engineer
    fwiw, you could always add a case in attempt to improve screen protection (you're less likely to damage the screen during a drop if the edges of the case extend above the screen..at least on the four corners). But it's not for everyone.

jj14x likes this.
  5. jj14x

jj14x Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    That's what I ended up doing - bought the Spigen case http://www.amazon.com/Spigen®-Exact-Fit-Crystal-Premium-Finish/dp/B00OH4HVE8?

It has held up pretty well, despite 4 separate falls (out of other people's hands - they somehow underestimate how large the phone is) - and I know for sure that at the very minimum, the edges would have been scraped if it had not been for the case.

The plastic one - I have tried it in the past on my Nexus 5 - I'm not going for that again :) (besides, that won't adhere well either because sooner or later, the edges will likely lift off on that)

Tags: