• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good bye HTC DESIRE HD, the worst phone I've ever owned.

Haikuguy

Oct 24, 2010
I was eager to buy this phone and (thought) I've done a lot of research, but now, after a year and a half I can safely say it's the worst phone experience I've ever had, for one main reason- HTC sense.

It keeps crashing, freezing (coming back to home screen from an open app takes an average of 15 seconds).

I've restarted it, reset it to factory settings numerous times, you name it.

Also the camera have trouble focusing (once it does it does produce amazing photos), and take about 5-7 seconds after a shot has been taken to be ready for the next one.

Not buying any HTC related product ever again.

Consider this merely a product review and not one of those apple vs android vs whatever internet hate rants....

All phones have a two year warranty so yours is still able to be sent back to an official HTC repair centre for diagnosis and repair. They will collect, fix and return free of charge. Quoted turn-around is 5 days.

You have nothing to lose at this stage so send it off and report back on what they fixed.

My DHD is the best phone I have ever had and I personally see zero reason to upgrade to anything currently on the market.

Reactions: ivicakc and D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
This phone worked well at first- the deterioration was slow but steady.

I had the (1st gen!) iPhone before, and I wanted to taste some android, was really fooled by the HTC DESIRE HD campaign and I'm probably going to get the iPhone 5 now.

No, not a "Fanboy", I just want a phone that works.

I probably should have gotten a nexus to get the pure android experience but I feel that now HTC have ruined android for me.

Since I always buy phones outright and never through a carrier I can't afford to gamble once again with android.

And again, this is not "one phone vs another" thread, or "android vs apple" thread.

I've just found the whole experience frustrating and represented very poorly an android device.

Upvote 0
Sorry Android hasn't really worked for you. The DHD is a cracking phone, it sounds like you might have a duff though.

As others have pointed out, your warranty is still active, so you could send it to HTC, see if there's anything they can do. Root is also with looking in to if you fancy it.

At the end of the day though, you've got to go with what works for you, especially if you're paying for your device up front; phones nowadays are expensive!

Reactions: D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
What I don't get about this post is when the problems stated. OP had the phone for 1.5 years. If I had those problems from the start, I would have had the phone replaced from the start.

As I said, it didn't start like that- problems just arose slowly but steadily maybe after 8 months of use or so- that's why it didn't strike me as a faulty device.

Upvote 0
See this is where Apple still have a slight edge over Android -

There phones work - out of the box. The reason: One OS and one set of hardware.

If you want a phone that just 'works' and does what it says then iPhone is probably the best phone out there - You know what your going to get.

If you want something different and are prepared for a little bit of incompatabilty with apps. Having to install new launchers (because we all know Sense sucks, an who only knows what Samsung were thinking of with the SG3 interface) etc...then Android is the way forward.

Having said that, I do think the OP has a duff phone and should be sending it back. I've had mine for 2 years now....rooted it 12 months ago and haven't looked back. I've now got a shiny new SG3, but TBH the SIM is still in my DHD and I can't be parted from her!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones