• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good bye HTC Desire

kolipe

Jul 29, 2010
After almost a year I am giving up my HTC Desire for SG2. I had a mental battle as to whether to upgrade or not. Ultimately wrong side of the brain won and here I am with an SG2 making my HTC Desire obsolete. While I love the SG2, I will never forget the Desire which brought me to the world of Android from iOS. I loved every minute I spent with my Desire rooting, flashing roms and endless customization and in doing so this forum played a huge part. I just wanted to thank all of you who helped in different times. So, THANK YOU ALL.

Reactions: williamj1
Good choice! The SGS2 is a cracking piece of kit.
I've got my eye on it myself, but sadly can't afford it :p

It's an odd time for Desire owners I reckon. On the one hand, the Desire is falling behind and there are plenty of cracking new phones with lots of new and improved features.

But on the other hand, most owners haven't had them for over a year and aren't ready to upgrade (financially, or in terms of contracts). There aren't really that many "massive" changes. And each upgrade isn't without the sacrifice (in my opinion) of the Desire's lovely physical buttons, trackball and dev community with more custom ROMS than you could ever dream of.

Anyway, good luck. Enjoy. And if the SGS2 price drops a little, or CM7 is pushed onto it, I may well see you very soon ;)

Reactions: alekos
Upvote 0
Good luck with ya new purchase buddy, I'm sure it will see you good.

This is sad to hear. Its inevitable we will part with our Desire at some point. Good luck with SS2. Heard its a cracking phone but I for one will remain loyal to Desire for another year or so.

+1 for that, there's just nothing out there ATM that's worth the upgrade for me, there's faster, better built, more memoried, better camered, better resolutioned, and just down right better phones out there now, but not so much better that I'd even think of paying 400+ quid for what they have over the desire, what a testiment to the desire that after more than a year it can still hold its head relatively high amongst the new breed of 3D, dual core and so on phones. I've got until May 2012 before I can upgrade, and I'm very happy to keep the desire until then.

Upvote 0
Enjoy your Samsung Galaxy S II. I have been looking at the Galaxy S II and pondering whether to upgrade, but I have decided to keep my Desire until my upgrade time in February 2012 (I can't justify spending a lot of money upgrading now AND in Feb 2012). So I am another one of those people keeping the Desire for another year or so but I tell you, the Galaxy S II is an awesome phone and I would get it if I had the money... But seeing as I don't, the Desire will do me fine. Its still an excellent phone.

To be honest, it's good that the Desire S and Incredible S have 1GHz processors because it doesn't make the Desire feel too old.
I remember in 2009 the Hero had around 500MHz and when the Desire was released it made the Hero feel pretty low spec because of the 1GHz CPU in the Desire, then most other phones after that were 1GHz! Sure we now have Dual-Core phones these days, but many phones are still 1GHz (single core) so we are lucky because it means the Desire can still be seen as a top spec phone.

Anyway good luck with your purchase and enjoy your new phone!! :D

Upvote 0
+1 for that, there's just nothing out there ATM that's worth the upgrade for me, there's faster, better built, more memoried, better camered, better resolutioned, and just down right better phones out there now, but not so much better that I'd even think of paying 400+ quid for what they have over the desire, what a testiment to the desire that after more than a year it can still hold its head relatively high amongst the new breed of 3D, dual core and so on phones. I've got until May 2012 before I can upgrade, and I'm very happy to keep the desire until then.

I can upgrade anytime but I just dont think upgrading to Samsung Galaxy S2 or HTC Sensation is worth paying for at the moment besides I am toooo much in love with my Desire to part with it yet. So Ive decided I am going to go for reduced tariff for 12 months...

Upvote 0
Thats great news! So looks like HTC bootloaders are still rootable. Ed do you know what hboot they are? I am gussing above 1.06??

I'm not sure how much stock I put in these numbers and what they mean. They seem to change accross device.

Desire S for example has a bootloader version of 0.75 and 0.80 which came out after 1.06 surfaced so I think these numbers differ from device to device.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the comments. I upgrades it only because I had one and always wanted a better camera. I wont be rooting SG2 for a while.

It's funny what android and desire has done to me. I am an accountant by profession but spend a lot time looking for roms, rooting, a2sd guide etc. Even funnier when a friend of mine keeps calling me all the time asking guides and good roms. All good anyway.

Upvote 0
I bought a SGS2 yesterday... Pretty cool but i gotta say i expected a little better. You definitely notice the dual core CPU but only when doing things like install something.

ALSO: After installing a custom ROM and having a play a had to go back and start playing with my desire... its such an awesome phone (the desire) i guess for a DEV or power user id still say the Desire would still be my number 1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones