• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

good deal? or outdated?

Oct 26, 2010
i picked one of these up yesterday at target for $149 (32gb) they were $30 off. i mostly use my tablet (7" walmart cheapo hi-sense) for web browsing, pandora, netflix, youtube, hulu and a few random apps/games, i have not opened it yet because the target employee told me its not returnable after opened..

the screen looked awesome, but i see it has android 3.0? at least thats what i read online. is the web browsing smooth? any issues? does outdated version of android mean no more updates and issues using the apps mentioned?

as far as i can tell, the only thing its missing is a camera, which does not bother me. and i wish it had a more current version of android.

am i going to regret opening it after a few days?

i picked one of these up yesterday at target for $149 (32gb) they were $30 off. i mostly use my tablet (7" walmart cheapo hi-sense) for web browsing, pandora, netflix, youtube, hulu and a few random apps/games, i have not opened it yet because the target employee told me its not returnable after opened..

the screen looked awesome, but i see it has android 3.0? at least thats what i read online. is the web browsing smooth? any issues? does outdated version of android mean no more updates and issues using the apps mentioned?

as far as i can tell, the only thing its missing is a camera, which does not bother me. and i wish it had a more current version of android.

am i going to regret opening it after a few days?
i have one and i actually use it more then my $600 asus transformer infinity with keyboard dock.

it is very smooth and you should have no issues running those apps.

also if you have any issues you can take it in to Barnes and Noble(even if you did not buy it) for assistance....they may even allow you to do a warranty exchange on it, even though you did not get it from them.

i just bought a chromecast from google.....gonna see if i can wirelessly cast my content from my nook to the tv.

Upvote 0
No way you're going to regret it. I use my HD+ daily. My Asus Transformer Inf died several weeks ago and to tell you the truth I haven't missed it. I use Nova launcher and love it. I haven't rooted it yet because it's still under warranty but, I really haven't had a good reason to root it.

And I agree that if there's a problem there's a brick and Mortar to walk into to get it taken care of.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I got my Nook HD+ at the same Target deal. I think it is a great device at a great price. I'm using it all the time without a hitch. Google Play adds a lot and I like the additional micro card storage. Never thought I'd do it electronically but reading is also fun.
Enjoy it for awhile, until the next big thing comes along and you can grab it at a good price.
BTW Taarget told me they would take it back if opened (though they didn't say heavily used:) )

Upvote 0
Yep I agree.....curious to see what it will be. I read that they have a partnership with microsoft, so.......windows 8 maybe?

Yea, apparently the one coming next will run Windows. But I am hoping they decide to do another android tablet too as I am not interested in Windows. I left Windows for Linux years ago.

That said, I also like the Nook HD+ a lot and use it almost daily. I own a number of tablets and it's my favorite due to the great screen, etc. Plus I find the 9 inch screen size best for my tablet needs. I've owned bigger tablets (up to 10.1 inches and also an Ipad 2 at 9.7 inches) and still own more than a few 7 inch tablets to compare.

Upvote 0
Yea, apparently the one coming next will run Windows.

Do you have proof? I have yet to find anything on it except for rumors and speculations.

I hope they continue with android.......but let's wait until we have something like a press release or something official before we ink it as a Windows device.

Upvote 0
Do you have proof? I have yet to find anything on it except for rumors and speculations.

I hope they continue with android.......but let's wait until we have something like a press release or something official before we ink it as a Windows device.

I am just going by what I've heard and read online, so yea it is mostly rumor and speculation. But it makes sense since Microsoft paid $300 million in April 2012 for a 17.6% stake in Nook, etc.

That said, I am personally hoping they at least give us both an Android device along with the Windows device.

Upvote 0
I am just going by what I've heard and read online, so yea it is mostly rumor and speculation. But it makes sense since Microsoft paid $300 million in April 2012 for a 17.6% stake in Nook, etc.

That said, I am personally hoping they at least give us both an Android device along with the Windows device.

ok......i just hate to make assumptions so early in the game.

if it is a windows 8 device then so be it......they are really not that bad to be honest....and i love my windows 8 laptop.

curious to see how much support they will give for the hd and hd+ when the new device is released.

either way the nook hd's is still a great device and with the price as they are now (and maybe they might even drop further right before the release of the new deivce), you can't go wrong.

Upvote 0
either way the nook hd's is still a great device and with the price as they are now (and maybe they might even drop further right before the release of the new deivce), you can't go wrong.

I agree that the Nook HD's are very good, esp. at the price I've been able to get them at. I own both the Nook HD and Nook HD+ and I have bought a total of five Nook HD+ so far (three I gave as gifts to family). Further, most recently I bought a 32GB Nook HD+ brand new sealed in box with a brand new hdmi adapter and extra Nook HD charging adapter for 140.00 via an eBay offer I made (surprised me seller accepted the offer to be honest). I also got a 16GB Nook HD+ at Cowboom brand new for 99.99 + tax and free shipping using a promo two weeks ago. So the prices are very good (and even lower in stores occasionally via clearance deals) and hard to beat.

It seems with the market being flooded with android tablet options that prices and options are getting better and better.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones