• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good deals on Android phones?

Sweet Chaos

Android Enthusiast
Dec 3, 2010
New Jersey
raptr.com
I am looking into getting my first Android phone and was hoping someone could help me. Due to the employee discount I get at my job I have to pay full retail price for my phone. As everyone knows, phones are not cheap, especially not smartphones. I am on a tight budget but I will also not buy a phone that will not do what I want it to do. I was really liking the Ally but after asking a few questions around here I don't think it's going to do what I need and might have to spend an extra couple hundred $$ to get the phone I want.

I was wondering if there were any places that you knew about that I can find phones for more reasonable prices. I have been searching eBay but I was hoping for some other options as well. Specifically I'm thinking of the Samsung Fascinate, Samsung Continuum, or Droid 2, but as long as the phone has what I need (2GB+ of internal memory) I'll consider it. I also really don't want a used device, but if it's in really good (aka perfect) condition and from a good seller I'll consider it. I thought that since it seems that many of the people on this site have a lot of experience with these phones maybe someone can help me track one down that won't break my bank.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!!

This is always a tough decision. Don't discount buying a used phone or something that has been out for six months or almost a year. If it is your first Android phone, you truly do not need the latest and greatest.

I joined the boards when the Incredible was a rumor. I wanted one SO bad. So I did my homework and compared the available Droid phones on Verizon (which I knew I would be staying with as the carrier).

Since the Incredible wasn't coming out for awhile (this was in March), I decided to try the Eris. Had it for a few weeks and decided I didn't like the feel or the weight and I really needed a keyboard. So I got the original Droid. Love it. Very happy with it. I've rooted it and it runs as fast as the newer phone and is built solid.

I recently bought a used Eris off these boards and I couldn't be happier. For $100, my daughter has a smokin' fast Eris, already rooted and it arrived in excellent condition.

Honestly, buying used is an excellent way to go if you have to spend full price for a phone. It's understandable you want new but so many people are dumping almost new phones for the latest and greatest, you really save a LOT of money picking something up here.

Best of luck!
robYn

Upvote 0
Your best bet, IMO, is to buy something used on eBay or on the forums here (or elsewhere). I agree with the above poster though, just because you cannot afford something doesn't mean there will magically be a lesser price. "Good deals" are generally found on phones that are subsidized by contracts. Without that, you will be paying retail all the time, assuming you want to buy new. Not sure what your budget is, but the phones you are looking at will all cost $400+ NEW almost anywhere you look.

I am also curious, were did the 2GB internal memory being mandatory come into play (where did you get that number)? Most apps that need to be on the internal memory are 2mb (plenty are far less, in the kb range). Even games with larger data end up being mostly installed on the SD card. There are also plenty of apps that can be moved right over to the SD card.

To sum it up, it seems to me like you are asking for a whole lot of something for next to nothing. You are already getting an amazing plan (I am betting it is something like all you can eat voice, data, text for free-$25 based on my girlfriend's plans and needing to buy the phone flat out herself). You are going to save the cost, even of a new phone, in the first half year you use the thing when you compare it to what you would be spending on an equivalent (or even lesser) plan.

Upvote 0
Thanks for all the advice. I'm nervous about buying a new phone, not because I don't want something used, but because I'm afraid there will be something wrong with it... or it'll be dirty... I don't even like to really handle my customer's phones at work because it kinda grosses me out. As far as the internal memory, I said 2GB because the entire reason I want an Android is for apps and I don't want to have to worry about filling it up. I also don't really want to root my phone, which I've heard is the only way to get apps onto the SD in the case of a phone without Froyo (ie the Ally, which I was really hoping would work for me). I'm going to keep peaking around eBay and the forums here and hopefully find something I'm comfortable buying. I know I'll be saving a lot of money either way with my plan (pretty much the "all you can eat" you mentioned... it's not unlimited talk but its more than I'll ever come close to using so as far as I'm concerned it's unlimited) but I just don't have the money to fork out right now. Worst case scenario is I'll have to wait until after Christmas to buy something, but that date's coming quick so I guess that's ok :/

Thanks again for the advice. I have to say that the people on this forum are much nicer and more helpful than... some other forums I've been on... =)

Upvote 0
I understand your concern about a used phone. I would only bid on phones where the seller states it is in min or neat mint condition. If it arrives dirty (I assume you mean physically grimy, brown, gross...), then they falsified that listing and eBay should cover you. You can also always ask for more pics, even if they need to be sent to an email. That said, it is a hassle to have to go that route. There are plenty of people on this forum that sell things. There is a bit of a larger risk involved in something like that. I have never bought/sold anything on this forum, but on reefcentral (a saltwater fish keeper site) I have bought/traded/sold thousands in equipment and livestock (over the course of many years) just using paypal and have never been burned. I guess my point is that there are a certain number of risks involved when you try to bypass the retail purchase of a phone. You will almost certainly not find something brand new, never opened at a price much better than retail and not have to worry about the phone not working. Even in an unopened box, the phone can be DOA and you are stuck having to deal with the manufacturer (as I am sure the private seller will have no interest of dealing with it). IME, shipping stuff out can be quite the PITA.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones