• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Good for Enterprise

nicke5012

Lurker
Oct 27, 2010
Has anyone used Good for Enterprise on a rooted phone? My company's now mandating we use this to access our corporate email, and they mentioned we couldn't use it with rooted phones. Does anyone know what'll happen if I try to install Good on a rooted phone? Or, could I re-root after I install Good?

Also, if I have to unroot, will Titanium Backup still maintain the frozen state of my Verizon bloatware? Otherwise I should be able to just use Root Explorer and rename the .apk files, right?

Thanks, this forum's been a great resource.

Has anyone used Good for Enterprise on a rooted phone? My company's now mandating we use this to access our corporate email, and they mentioned we couldn't use it with rooted phones. Does anyone know what'll happen if I try to install Good on a rooted phone? Or, could I re-root after I install Good?

Also, if I have to unroot, will Titanium Backup still maintain the frozen state of my Verizon bloatware? Otherwise I should be able to just use Root Explorer and rename the .apk files, right?

Thanks, this forum's been a great resource.

i dont see why it wouldnt work with the phone rooted. but i'm not going to commit to that.

i dont see why TiBu wouldnt maintain the frozen apps either. but, if it doesnt, you wont be able to re-name them with root explorer, because root explorer requires root.

Upvote 0
That is not good (no pun intended).

I've got an X that I'm running on Cricket and it requires root to be able to configure web access. Our company is going to be moving to Good For Enterprise so I may have to give up my X and buy one of the Cricket entry level androids. Bummer.

I'm wondering if that is a per-site policy restriction that hopefully won't be applied at the company I work for.

Upvote 0
I found a 'solution.'

I am successfully running Good for Enterprise on Cyanogenmod 6.1, but it took some work. I used adb shell to rename su and Superuser.apk on the phone, then rebooted. After the reboot, I don't have root anymore. In an emergency I can rename them the superuser files back using rageagainsthecage but I probably won't do it often.

This is a compromise, but at least I don't have to give up that CM6 goodness just to use my corporate email.

So far I have not seen any issues in CM6 resulting from not having root.

Upvote 0
I found a 'solution.'

I am successfully running Good for Enterprise on Cyanogenmod 6.1, but it took some work. I used adb shell to rename su and Superuser.apk on the phone, then rebooted. After the reboot, I don't have root anymore. In an emergency I can rename them the superuser files back using rageagainsthecage but I probably won't do it often.

This is a compromise, but at least I don't have to give up that CM6 goodness just to use my corporate email.

So far I have not seen any issues in CM6 resulting from not having root.

I'm in the same boat as you but don't at all mind relinquishing root as long as I can continue to run cyanogen.

What should I rename the su and superuser.apk to?

Thanks

Upvote 0
i dont want to remove the files though, right? i want to only rename them so i shouldnt use the rm command but mv instead right?

i went to that directory and see a lot of files when i ls-l but do not see su or superuser.apk. are they hidden files?

btw i have s-off permanently engaged in the radio having used unrevoked latest version... maybe i don't have an su file?

Upvote 0
i dont want to remove the files though, right? i want to only rename them so i shouldnt use the rm command but mv instead right?

i went to that directory and see a lot of files when i ls-l but do not see su or superuser.apk. are they hidden files?

btw i have s-off permanently engaged in the radio having used unrevoked latest version... maybe i don't have an su file?

SU is in /system/xbin and you do rm su su.bak
Superuser.apk is in /system/app and do rm superuser.apk superuser.bak

Upvote 0
If you loose Root, would you be able to rename the superuser apps back? I doubt that you would since those files are in the systems section where you cannot access with the regular file explorer.

I think if you need root back, you'll have to go through the normal root procedures as if you never had root to begin with. If this is true, then it doesn't matter if you remove the files or rename them. It will still require going through the same root process.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones