• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good News for 4G (politics)?

330D

From My Cold Dead Hands
Mar 4, 2010
upstate NY
Lots of things Obama says sound great at first until you see how poorly they are implemented. Just look at how bad obamacare is for this country.

Plus how is it going to be paid for... Taxes of course. More tax and spend politics by democrats when the country already can't pay for what we are already spending.

Upvote 0
Lots of things Obama says sound great at first until you see how poorly they are implemented. Just look at how bad obamacare is for this country.

Plus how is it going to be paid for... Taxes of course. More tax and spend politics by democrats when the country already can't pay for what we are already spending.

From the article linked in the OP:
The beauty of this plan is that all these proposed costs are offset by the spectrum auction, which is estimated to raise $27.8 billion, of which $9.6 billion will be dedicated to deficit reduction.

Do you people act ignorant on purpose, or are you just genuinely that opposed to Obama you'll hate anything he does, no matter how much it benefits you/the country?

This is a good thing.

Upvote 0
And talking is not doing now is it? Let him do it then he can claim to invent THE 4G in few years lol like Algore creating THE Internet. So far what has he done? Other than run his mouth and failing with super majority... no wonder Republicans took over.

You seem really quick to turn things into a political debate. I was just pointing out the simple fact that someone is getting upset about this coming out of taxes, when it says clearly in the article that if anything this is going to LOWER THE DEFICIT.

I really doubt Democrats/Republicans "taking over" is going to fix anything. Republicans had their turn in office, as did democrats. It's the people in the country making this place suck, not just the politicians.

Upvote 0
National infrastructure projects seem to be always be a problem in the US. There are too many private interests and lobby groups that talk it small.

The last big projects that really worked were the national highway initiative of President Eisenhower and the TVA (Tennessee Valleey Authority) - and that was initiated by FDR.

A few days ago, VP Biden announced the High Speed Train project for $60 Billion and already a lot of people talk about "fiscal insanity". That project would bring the US in 25 years to the level of train infrastructure where France was with the TGV 25 year ago - so 50 years behind the leader in the world. And I am sure they will find ways to muck it up.

Here is a nice video of the TGV's speed record run. They had to follow it with a jet to take some pictures, choppers were too slow: (go to the YouTube link in the green field) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Layg7NpyTes&feature=related

Upvote 0
The beauty of this plan is that all these proposed costs are offset by the spectrum auction, which is estimated to raise $27.8 billion, of which $9.6 billion will be dedicated to deficit reduction.

Do you people act ignorant on purpose, or are you just genuinely that opposed to Obama you'll hate anything he does, no matter how much it benefits you/the country?

This is a good thing.

Not so fast . . .

First, I would like more information. No reason to assume what the president does or will do in this specific case is actually good for the country. No reason to assume it is not, either.

Where is he going to get this additional spectrum? Anyone know the specific frequencies? I see amateur radio taking a hit, but I might be wrong. So sad for us all if that happens.

Bob Maxey

Upvote 0

This is a good thing.
Everything always looks good on paper. Until its implemented and never looks or does like it did on that piece of paper.

So we have 4G service everywhere. People without jobs to pay for the phones to use this great service kinda makes it useless for many. Or is obama Going to promise a Smartphone in every home. Like Hoover said A chicken in every pot and a car in every garage.

How about stop with the gimmicks for raising money. Just Do their job and stop spending money we dont have.

Upvote 0
You seem really quick to turn things into a political debate. I was just pointing out the simple fact that someone is getting upset about this coming out of taxes, when it says clearly in the article that if anything this is going to LOWER THE DEFICIT.

I really doubt Democrats/Republicans "taking over" is going to fix anything. Republicans had their turn in office, as did democrats. It's the people in the country making this place suck, not just the politicians.

Well, this IS the politics subforum.

And while the claim may be to lower the deficit, won't taxes have to be spent before projected benefits ensue?

Upvote 0
A few days ago, VP Biden announced the High Speed Train project for $60 Billion and already a lot of people talk about "fiscal insanity". That project would bring the US in 25 years to the level of train infrastructure where France was with the TGV 25 year ago - so 50 years behind the leader in the world. And I am sure they will find ways to muck it up.

"High Speed" rail is doomed to be a boondoggle in the US. Outside of the northeast corridor and a few other areas the US population is not really dense enough to support it. Most will still have to commute in their cars. On top of that for truly high speed rail dedicated tracks will have to be built separate from tracks that freight trains use. Environmentalism, NIMBYism and the politics of eminent domain on top of the inevitable cost overruns that plague tax payer funded infrastructure projects will make the cost of dedicated tracks prohibitive. So we'll end up with "high-speed" rail that only does about 70mph which isn't fast enough to replace air travel.

Why High-Speed Trains Don't Make Sense - Newsweek

A 'high-speed' boondoggle - NYPOST.com

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones