• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good News for F6 USERS!!!!!

So can i un-root and update?

When the KitKat update comes out or rather "if". Then you can use this software, you will lose root after the update and your data on your phone will be wiped.

I suppose you can unroot if you don't have a PC, but depending on how much you modified your phone it would be safer to use this software.

Upvote 0
When the KitKat update comes out or rather "if". Then you can use this software, you will lose root after the update and your data on your phone will be wiped.

I suppose you can unroot if you don't have a PC, but depending on how much you modified your phone it would be safer to use this software.

I dont have much its rooted,has cwm recovery,and fused sdcard and i dont really care about any of that and my data.

Upvote 0
The update was just released for nexus 7 nexus 4 nexus 5 it should be coming This weak hopfully!

Generally speaking, it takes most OEMs at least 3-4 months to update to the latest version after Nexus devices have had the update. It can be even longer if the device isn't a flagship unfortunately.

Off Topic stuff deleted btw. Any issues with that, please drop me a PM, thanks. :)

Upvote 0
Generally speaking, it takes most OEMs at least 3-4 months to update to the latest version after Nexus devices have had the update. It can be even longer if the device isn't a flagship unfortunately.

Off Topic stuff deleted btw. Any issues with that, please drop me a PM, thanks. :)

Seems a little pointless to release it 3-4 months from now, most people with the phone will probably have a different one by the time it rolls around, but it's still nice to see that they're supporting older devices, most companies would focus on the ones they're about to release.

Upvote 0
I think it's up to your phone company to decide whether to participate in update. I am pretty sure T-Mobile won't since it doesn't make any money for them, unless it fixes bugs.

I don't see why T-mobile wouldn't give us kit kat, either way, As much as i'd like to see 4.4 , i'll keep this as just a rumor

Reactions: gdasilva16
Upvote 0
I think it's up to your phone company to decide whether to participate in update. I am pretty sure T-Mobile won't since it doesn't make any money for them, unless it fixes bugs.

I don't know what you are talking about...

a) It's not really up to release updates the phones.... It's the company that makes the phone

b) Why wouldn't they participate? Wouldn't telephone service companies like T-Mobile will actually participate to attract more customers to buy their phones?

I don't really see any logic in your comment....

T-Mobile actually doesn't have to do ANYTHING! All they do is add bloatwares that they make LG put on our phones and so on which allows them to actually earn MORE money.....

Also after I got this phone... I never got a single update from T-Mobile about fixing bugs. Even though its a rumor, don't kill other peoples hope. I am not going to be stuck with Jelly Bean for 2 years from now on.

Reactions: diggs916
Upvote 0

a) It's not really up to release updates the phones.... It's the company that makes the phone

b) Why wouldn't they participate? Wouldn't telephone service companies like T-Mobile will actually participate to attract more customers to buy their phones?

T-Mobile actually doesn't have to do ANYTHING! All they do is add bloatwares that they make LG put on our phones and so on which allows them to actually earn MORE money.....

Also after I got this phone... I never got a single update from T-Mobile about fixing bugs. Even though its a rumor, don't kill other peoples hope. I am not going to be stuck with Jelly Bean for 2 years from now on.

Yup.

Upvote 0

Of course there are works for T-Mobile to do. Before an update is released, T-Mobile needs to add their stuff to the baseline, test it. After update released, they will need to maintain one more release. If they keep old phones up to date, less people will buy the "latest and greatest".

Upvote 0
As I said, all T-Mobile does is add bloatwares that we don't want in our phones... Speaking of update, T-Mobile doesn't maintain anything, Lg is the one making and releasing the new updates in reality... Big companies know not everyone can get a GFlex or what ever their latest and greatest smartphone is. So what they do is also create a little bit more reasonable price ranged phones like F6.....

Of course there are works for T-Mobile to do. Before an update is released, T-Mobile needs to add their stuff to the baseline, test it. After update released, they will need to maintain one more release. If they keep old phones up to date, less people will buy the "latest and greatest".

Upvote 0
Just because you/we don't want the "bloatwares" doesn't mean it is no work for T-Mobile. Just because LG may re-distribute the firmware doesn't mean there is no work for T-Mobile. Don't get me wrong, I have a F6 and I want Kit-Kat. But I also understand it is an inexpensive phone and may not be on the market for long. I am happy with the phone for what it is. If they release KK, I will keep it longer. If they release something nicer at a price point I like, I switch.

Upvote 0

LOL, let the hope live! The logic in my comment is that this phone is about a year old, it's cheap and it works fine, what's the point of wasting money on developing new firmware? Whether LG or T-Mobile, they don't care if you keep your phone "longer" as they are in the business of selling phones. This is not the first or the last time when the developer released an update for their device, but the phone company decided not to release it to their customers. I hope I'm wrong, but you can only get so much with hope.

Upvote 0
I know but still :p I swear, if they drop kitkat update, i am going to start learning porting android and will post it on the forums.... xD
LOL, let the hope live! The logic in my comment is that this phone is about a year old, it's cheap and it works fine, what's the point of wasting money on developing new firmware? Whether LG or T-Mobile, they don't care if you keep your phone "longer" as they are in the business of selling phones. This is not the first or the last time when the developer released an update for their device, but the phone company decided not to release it to their customers. I hope I'm wrong, but you can only get so much with hope.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you too. This phone just... works for me :D But, you know they still are obligated to update within 16 month periods if I remember correctly.
Just because you/we don't want the "bloatwares" doesn't mean it is no work for T-Mobile. Just because LG may re-distribute the firmware doesn't mean there is no work for T-Mobile. Don't get me wrong, I have a F6 and I want Kit-Kat. But I also understand it is an inexpensive phone and may not be on the market for long. I am happy with the phone for what it is. If they release KK, I will keep it longer. If they release something nicer at a price point I like, I switch.

Upvote 0
I totally agree with you too. This phone just... works for me :D But, you know they still are obligated to update within 16 month periods if I remember correctly.

Google encourage (not enforce) members of the Open Handset Alliance to update their handsets/devices 18 months after release.

I don't know how networks fit in to the equation.

Is the F6 solely on T-Mo & Metro? Does it come unbranded too?

Upvote 0
I thought I'd chime in on a couple of comment themes (I'm a developer in the application space on various platforms (many years), and I have an F6)

(Edit/Update: http://www.knowyourmobile.com/andro...droid-44-kitkat-samsung-htc-lg-sony-motorolas)

That's about the 3rd article I've found in the last week on the subject.

June. That's when. June. F3, F6 and a number of others on the list, from multiple sources.

On the "what's the point" theme:

It's true that 4.1.2 is fine, but there may be a point in wanting the 4.4+ update: A build from the Linaro toolchain.

I can't verify this with 100% certainty on the LG F6, because it is within the power of any manufacturer to choose their toolchain when generating the OS for their device, but I don't believe the F6's 4.1.2 was compiled with Linaro, though it's possible they used the Snapdragon toolchain.

Performance on some devices improves anywhere between 15% to 100% (double), depending on the functions tested, when the OS is built with the Linaro toolchain, which Google has moved toward in 4.4, but not in 4.1.2. Snapdragon's toolchain has rapidly evolved, and I can't pin down what version was used when building the 4.1.2 we're currently using.

As an example of potential impact, the now ancient Kindle Fire 1st Gen was released with 2.3.3, and in stock usage still has that OS. However, there are several 4.4+ ROM's for the KF 1 gen compiled with Linaro, and the result is an ENTIRELY different device. You'd think, by comparing, the hardware had to be changed out.

You might think that's because of the jump from 2.3.3 to 4.x, but in reality 4.x is not much faster than 2.3.3 under most tests...certainly not by the factor witnessed when a highly optimized build is installed. If we build 2.3.3 for the KF 1 gen (not a popular goal, but I tried it) - the performance result is similar.

It's just a rumor, they're in business to sell phones, probably won't update the F6, it's an old device:

Every device over 2 months old is yesterday's product. Unless there's something wrong (design, feature or defect), most users don't upgrade every few months. Enthusiasts might, but the larger population of consumers keep a device for more than 6 months (many for 2 years).

The F6 was released September, 2013, unless my research is incorrect - making it 6 months old, not a year old as some posts have echoed.

There is some (rather small) merit to the theory that LG might not be motivated to upgrade the OS. There are virtually zero technical obstacles, and frankly it does seem short sighted because most consumers don't recognize an OS version change unless it's something like the infamous Windows 8/Vista/7. The general population may have heard terms like Kit Kat and Ice Cream Sandwich, but less than 2% could describe any recognizable difference or reason to want one over the other.

That probably makes everyone participating in this thread, even this forum, among the 2%.

They do recognize differences in screen size, price, brightness and weight, but many don't even bother choosing a device based on camera resolution or built in storage. The OS is probably the last reason most users would choose one device over another, unless it's something as obvious as iOS vs Android vs Windows 8.

In other words, I can't see how LG (or any firm guided by market data) would think that withholding an OS upgrade would have more than a 2% impact on new model sales. They know that certain cosmetic or hardware features have much greater impact on sales.

Ultimately, though, this is just a rumor. How many devices did LG release with 4.0x that were not upgraded to 4.1.x? (I have no idea, but it would be a better foundation upon which to predict their choice).

Upvote 0
I thought I'd chime in on a couple of comment themes (I'm a developer in the application space on various platforms (many years), and I have an F6)

(Edit/Update: When will I get Android 4.4 KitKat? Samsung, HTC, LG, Sony & Motorola's Update Plans | Know Your Mobile)

That's about the 3rd article I've found in the last week on the subject.

June. That's when. June. F3, F6 and a number of others on the list, from multiple sources.

I read the end of Q2/June 2014 for Optimus G Pro but not for any other LG model. Where do you read the June date for F6?

Upvote 0
I read the end of Q2/June 2014 for Optimus G Pro but not for any other LG model. Where do you read the June date for F6?

Like I pointed out at the start of the post, I've read several articles - that was only one of the recent ones. Google for more, some in Feb, with Q2/June for several models.

One posts screen shots of the LG G Pro in South Korea with 4.4 on it now.

Upvote 0
Even if we don't get the official update, should be just a matter of time before we get a Rom based on Kit Kat. Well, I am new to F6 and don't know how development is going with this phone, but I did have the motion and it took a long while for anything good to happen, but it did happen eventually.

/fingers crossed and in my butt for faster development
lmfao

Upvote 0
I think the source from phone arena is right. You probably will get KitKat. The F line up was released like in the middle of last year. They're not just gonna leave all of us on the same version they released us on. Now if we had gotten a 4.2/4.3 update I say KitKat wouldn't be an option. But as we are still on 4.1.2 I'm certain we will see KitKat for the F series. Of course LG released like 4 or so more other phones last year too but they all got crappy Mediatek processors unlike the F line up where we have Snapdragons, might I add the last best dual core snapdragoon;)? Don't worry we'll get KitKat and I'll be able to confirm this source around late spring. Assuming we won't get KitKat until summer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones