• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good News for F6 USERS!!!!!

So the 11extsd2internalsd mod basically allows the link2sd app to move apps that normally can't be moved over the the SD card by either the "move to SD" or "create a link" option? Basically, if I download a large gb app, I can move it over so I regain space and keep downloading other apps and repeat the process? Please explain.
If I understand correctly...
link2sd and 11extsd2internalsd are independent of each other. link2sd (the free version) symbolic linked phone's internal app space to the 2nd partition of your SD card. 11extsd2internalsd swaps the internal data memory space with 1st partition of your SD card. The end result of using both is you can install a lot more apps than if none or only one of these is installed.

Upvote 0
If I understand correctly...
link2sd and 11extsd2internalsd are independent of each other. link2sd (the free version) symbolic linked phone's internal app space to the 2nd partition of your SD card. 11extsd2internalsd swaps the internal data memory space with 1st partition of your SD card. The end result of using both is you can install a lot more apps than if none or only one of these is installed.
If I made the external sd card my primary/internal storage, then wouldn't "moving apps to sd" move the apps the 1.27gb storage, since I've swapped both storages? In other words, the phone thinks the 1.27gb is the actual sd card, so moving the apps to sd in link2sd will send the apps to that low storage. Or I could be wrong? how exactly does this process work?

Upvote 0
If I made the external sd card my primary/internal storage, then wouldn't "moving apps to sd" move the apps the 1.27gb storage, since I've swapped both storages? In other words, the phone thinks the 1.27gb is the actual sd card, so moving the apps to sd in link2sd will send the apps to that low storage. Or I could be wrong? how exactly does this process work?
I believe the internal memory of the phone is divided into several partitions. The 11extsd2internalsd only swap the user data partition with the SD card, it doesn't do anything with the app storage partition.

Upvote 0
Another thing, is it a requirement to partition the SD card to get this whole thing to work in order to get rid of the "insufficient storage" message?
If you want to use link2sd (free or paid version), you have to have a 2nd partition formatted using ext2, ext3 or ext4 format. Symbolic link is unique to linux/android, you can't symbolic linked any file on a fat32 formatted partition.

Upvote 0
If you want to use link2sd (free or paid version), you have to have a 2nd partition formatted using ext2, ext3 or ext4 format. Symbolic link is unique to linux/android, you can't symbolic linked any file on a fat32 formatted partition.
I ended up creating a ext4 partition anyways. So I have the mod that swaps the storages, and the apps automatically link to the sd via link2sd on ext4 partition when they install. I hope I did it right.

And to be honest, none of the steps I did were even that hard. I was overwhelmed by the thought of having to mod my phone and do all this kind of crap with it just to make it work the way I wanted it to, thinking I had to type special codes in or followed massively complicated steps that take forever, but it ended up being fairly easy, both rooting and fixing the storage issue was not that hard at all, just slight patience, flashing, downloading a few things, dragging files, etc... plus the fact that this phone is so easy to flash the stock rom compared to my L9 is a pleasure.

Upvote 0
I ended up creating a ext4 partition anyways. So I have the mod that swaps the storages, and the apps automatically link to the sd via link2sd on ext4 partition when they install. I hope I did it right.

And to be honest, none of the steps I did were even that hard. I was overwhelmed by the thought of having to mod my phone and do all this kind of crap with it just to make it work the way I wanted it to, thinking I had to type special codes in or followed massively complicated steps that take forever, but it ended up being fairly easy, both rooting and fixing the storage issue was not that hard at all, just slight patience, flashing, downloading a few things, dragging files, etc... plus the fact that this phone is so easy to flash the stock rom compared to my L9 is a pleasure.

I see you had great success so I registered to ask that how exactly did you proceed with all these root and mods that can beat the storage limit? I, too, am having the same concerns with all overly techie steps just like you said. Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I see you had great success so I registered to ask that how exactly did you proceed with all these root and mods that can beat the storage limit? I, too, am having the same concerns with all overly techie steps just like you said. Thanks in advance!
I edited some of these:

I successfully rooted by following these 3 guides/links to help me root and still be on 12b:

http://androidforums.com/metropcs-o...rooting-f6-recovery-updated-12b-4-9-14-a.html (to root) follow this guide AFTER downgrading your phone to 10i via link below (2nd link). (sorry for guide being out of order). You have to follow guide/link below first.

Unbrick/Unroot/Factory Restore - Android Creations (downgrade to 10i in order to attempt root via first link above)

Root and 2nd-init CWM Recovery - Android Creations (minus the cwm), used it as a guide to backup the root so that when I upgraded to 12b, I can get the root back by saving the root, since 12b cannot be rooted without rooting on previous firmware). This is to bring the root over to the latest firmware.

......................................................................................................
For the storage thing:

This guide for external/internal storage swap:
http://androidforums.com/lg-optimus-f3/801368-mod-app2external_sd-fixed-duplicate-files.html. When in SManager, make sure you long press the "11extsd2internalsd.txt", press script/execute, and check the su, boot, and save. You'll know what I mean while following this guide. I believe this method is to allow the phone be able to download/install high gb apps to an extent.

And this guide as the last: [Guide] partition and link2sd [pictures included for each step] - xda-developers. This is so that after installing a high gb app, it'll then link/move directly over to the SD card via Link2SD, since the above solution only allows the phone to temporarily download a certain amount of high gb apps. After the the apps go to the SD card via Link2SD, you will be able to download/install more without the "insufficient storage error" coming back I assume, since the apps moved over to the actual partition. NOTE..If you have a big SD card like 14gb or higher, feel free to make your "EXT2/3/4" bigger, because the guide tells you to set it very low like "512mb" which is obviously not enough.
I usually delete my apps after I get bored with them, so basically I don't keep loading a ton of apps on my phone, therefore I don't know if this truly works, but so far I haven't ran into issues, and happy to know that link2sd works nice, so I assume the process works.

Upvote 0
Low storage message is coming up again, even though content are being linked to the sd card -_-. I don't understand. When I go to apps, it shows my internal storage being low even though apps are being moved to SD! And I also did the swap mod. look: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-aI5_U-LQ0ucjRCODUxS2tUWlE/edit?usp=sharing

It's giving me that low storage warning with the little disc thingy on the notification bar :(

Upvote 0
Yeah, CM or nothing :)

However, if we're being honest it may never happen. It all depends on CM community/developers. The Virgin Mobile Optimus V enjoyed a strong CM community support, probably because at the time it was the only cheap and decent phone on now defunct VM $25 plan. LG Optimus T for T-Mobile on the other hand received scraps, sure, there were some roms, but half of them didn't work right and those that did had some annoying bugs.

As far as LG phones go, only the high end phones enjoy strong CM support, the mid and low end devices occasionally get CM support, but don't get too excited. The only reason why I'm somewhat hopeful about F6 is that L9 eventually got CM support. F6 is better than L9 and cheaper too, so I'm hoping that someone will bring CM support to it.

Upvote 0
Just thought I'd throw this in:

Still no KitKat :(

But if you have your phone rooted you could you use Vodoo OTA Root Keeper, then temp "un-root", and install the update, then add your root right back.

or use towelroot while on 12b ;) ... I remember somebody saying june and july are basically the months we are rumored to get kitkat

Upvote 0
I've heard of promised phone software upgrades over the years, never to be delivered. I hope this update happens, but I'm not holding my breath. I would really like to see a CM rom delivered for the F6, more than anything.
I agree, people always get their hopes up with these budget phones/carriers and they never receive the update for the major software upgrade. It almost never happens and people wait months upon months for nothing. There's no real need for it on the F6 anyway.

Upvote 0
The t-mobile tech support guy didn't confirm nor deny the kitkat update. His post can lead you to believe that there will be kitkat, but they don't have a set date...
does anyone have an estimate? | T-Mobile Support

As smash1986hu said, lg Hungary confirmed that there will be kitkat for the F6. Here's the link for that article, you'll have to translate it to read it. Also note that the article was written in January, but was updated in May when they got the confirmation...
Az LG Optimus F6 Android 4.4 KitKat friss

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones