1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Good news for G2 owners regarding 2.1...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by vido.ardes, Feb 17, 2010.

1. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Android Expert

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. yeah but april... =/

3. well at least they've confirmed they'll be rolling it out :)

4. vido.ardes

vido.ardes Android Expert

Well the official work is Early Q2, last time I checked Q2 began in April so...

Why are people taking this as bad news? Surely this is confirmation we will get it when everyone else does?

5. what other operators have confirmed a firmware release for their phones that people r slating t-mob for an april release?

6. larsselleth

larsselleth Lurker

Ok, I am new to this. I got my Hero in December. I'm only just getting into the nitty gritty.

My Hero is the UK T-mobile G2. There update is due April (apparently...)
    My question is, is there any advantage to flashing to HTC Heros standard software or even getting rid of Sense UI and going straight for Eclair?

From what I have read I have to wait for Android to release the update, then wait for HTC to update the Sense and then wait for T-mobile to update Sense.

I do not want to be third in line for an update, I want them as they come out. If I do not like it I will flash back.

If im wrong apologies....
    :eek:)
    Lee

7. rustynuts

rustynuts Well-Known Member

Well had my G2 for 4 months now and am more than happy with it, seems a while ago now since we first starting hearing about this update and I'm looking forward to seeing it in April and enjoying what 2.1 brings me, I never thought about updated roms etc when I bought the phone so these are exciting times, roll on April : ) and cheers to all peeps working hard to roll it out to us.

8. vjprakashbe

vjprakashbe Well-Known Member

If you want to try something then you can start from here: XDADeveloperWiki - GSM Hero ROMs

9. vjprakashbe

vjprakashbe Well-Known Member

"EXpansys has spilled details of UK release date and UK pricing of all three phones, with the HTC Desire the most expensive handset at

10. TheBrit

TheBrit Android Expert

11. mattdanielc

mattdanielc Android Enthusiast

I'm not with tmobile... im with orange (im guessing I am on the old one as well then? But my question is... if it does update on orange as well - does this happen automatically or do I need to keep my eye out for something?

Thanks for the help :)

12. Slug

Slug Check six!
    VIP Member

Not really. With a release date announced for the new 2.1 handsets, it's likely that the hero will receive its update shortly afterwards. This gives everyone an idea of when that might happen.

13. mattdanielc

Really appreciate the help mate. I'm showing my newbie status here though... what is a rom for phones?

I bought my phone late December.. so I'm guessing I need to download the latest one on that link (14th Feb). Do I download it to the PC, or connect to that link via my phone?

14. mattdanielc

Many thanks for the help again! Do I need to install the phone software that came with the phone before I can plug my phone into the PC?
    Does that mean I will lose all my saved games on my games etc - all my high scores etc - even if the game is installed on my SC card?

Thanks again

15. rizzla

rizzla Well-Known Member

What will probably happen is that HTC will release 2.1 on their website and ask you to enter your serial number. This is where the problem starts because unless its one of the phones not locked to a carrier, the website will refuse your number and you'd be expected to wait until your carrier releases their version of it, which could be from days to weeks.

The 2.1 that will be released on HTC's website will still work fine on your hero, just wont have carrier specific stuff on it.

Anyway, by the time your carrier releases it there will already be a custom rom available of it with a few improvements added no doubt.

HTC Hero Forum

The HTC Hero release date was July 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.2" inch screen, 5MP camera, 288GB RAM, MSM7200A processor, and 1350mAh battery.

July 2009
Release Date
Reviews