• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

good phone for older newbie?

AliLand

Jul 21, 2013
Hope I've come to the right thread.
Can any one help me choose a good phone for my mum?
She has always gone for cheapest pay as you go handsets, but I've convinced her to pay a little more for something lasting.
Her main use is texting, but as mostly abroad- free text packages are a waste. Her main wish is simple large buttons, but I think a nice touch screen will give better options. I think she would use a camera, but none of the other stuff. I have an ancient (4 or 5 years old) LG and would like to have found same, but shops are pushing smart phones.
She dislikes learning new systems, but has taken well to android tablet - so she won't use phone for internet, but an android feel might be nice - as would be receiving and sending email.
So to summerize - cheap basic handset with large clear key pad, preferably with camera , possible android look OS, nice to have email. (Google maps - maybe)

Good question... but one that might be a bit easier to answer if we knew where abouts on the planet she was located, and if there's any particular phone networks that she'd want to be on.

And I know the budget question is always tricky, but it would give us an idea of which phones would be worth considering.

My mums in the UK, which would be where she makes calls. Her texts are about half and half UK and Greece (she makes a lot, but slowly - I've been trying to talk her in to natural pen writing)
She has been with Orange for years with no problem, but could be convinced to change - although keeping SIM would be nice.
Budget is very tricky issue - as her needs are basic she is reluctant to leave her under 50 pound zone, but if I could find the perfect model for 100 (sterling) I can convince her.
I doubt contract will suit, as she text abroad a lot - and depends heavily on phone for about 6 weeks per year while in Europe. If a contract fit needs, possibly 8 pound a month.
Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I'll start the actual phone suggestions with a Huawei Y300, or Sony Xperia U for something a bit smaller. Bigger would entail spending considerably more or venturing into the realms of Off-Brand phones (not recommended)

If you want a new android phone at that pricepoint they're good suggestions.

Also Virgin have the BladeIII which looks like a good entry phone...
Buy mobile phones & mobile broadband - Shop - Virgin Mobile

However, based on what she's doing, have you considered a Blackberry
BlackBerry Curve 9320 from

Upvote 0
Hope I've come to the right thread.
Can any one help me choose a good phone for my mum?
She has always gone for cheapest pay as you go handsets, but I've convinced her to pay a little more for something lasting.
Her main use is texting, but as mostly abroad- free text packages are a waste. Her main wish is simple large buttons, but I think a nice touch screen will give better options. I think she would use a camera, but none of the other stuff. I have an ancient (4 or 5 years old) LG and would like to have found same, but shops are pushing smart phones.
She dislikes learning new systems, but has taken well to android tablet - so she won't use phone for internet, but an android feel might be nice - as would be receiving and sending email.
So to summerize - cheap basic handset with large clear key pad, preferably with camera , possible android look OS, nice to have email. (Google maps - maybe)

I'm a Galaxy Nexus user and therefore biased. But I believe that the Galaxy Nexus should be in the 100 pound range there now (probably slightly more opposed to slightly less). You have to buy it used, as it is no longer sold directly. If you find one you can trust:

long lasting
- It has Android 4.2.2 and will get 4.3 soon. So she won't think it is old or cheap for a long long time - and neither will you

texting
- Regardless of what she gets, try to talk her into Whatsapp or Skype for messaging. Or even mySMS. Those will message internationally via mobile data or wifi for free to those running the same program

large screen
- 4.6 inches diagonal. Probably will be considered too big.

Android
- she can sign into the phone with the same Google account as her tablet and all apps she purchased or downloaded that were free from the Play Store will be free to use on the phone also.

Camera
- if she doesn't care about the camera the 5mp camera on the Galaxy Nexus will be just fine to her

Google Maps
- yup. The newest version with GPS

Upvote 0
Well if this is still alive and you still have not made up your mind for ma, then with the Y300 you get the option to have the standard qwerty keyboard which means the keys are smaller or she can change the keyboard to the older 9 key layout where button number 1 was your ABC button 2 was DEF etc etc if makes the buttons much bigger that way.

All1

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones