• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good Phone Insurance?

I just bought a Motorola Atrix and the acessories outright. I work for a wireless dealer so I'm able to get an AT&T dealer line. I just had to provide my own phone. Now, I'm terrible with phones; although I've gotten considerably better over the last year with not once dropping my phone!

Do any of you know of a good website that insures phones? Buying something at retail value.makes you change your outlook on your money. Lol.

I just bought a Motorola Atrix and the acessories outright. I work for a wireless dealer so I'm able to get an AT&T dealer line. I just had to provide my own phone. Now, I'm terrible with phones; although I've gotten considerably better over the last year with not once dropping my phone!

Do any of you know of a good website that insures phones? Buying something at retail value.makes you change your outlook on your money. Lol.

I have verizon wireless and geek squad black tie protection protects att phones, vzw, and sprint's phones. its no more than 10 dollars a month and there is no down deposit like your carrier's insurance. of course i have an android phone.

Reactions: morejaylesswar
Upvote 0
You have to buy it from BBY to get their black tie.

Why not just get AT&T's insurance?

Either that or you could check with SquareTrade.com

Well I'm not sure if I can get AT&T insurance because the dealer lines are no contracts, hence me having to provide my own phone. I'll look into seeing if I can still be insured Asurion through AT&T. If not the site you recommended is my next bet.

Upvote 0
I work for a verizon retailer but we use an insurance program that coversall phones. If interested its 100$ for the 2 year program and it covers everything lost stolen water damage etc... theres a 75$ deductable and with newer devices like the atrix you do get a new in box replacement device. The program's name is Global Warrenty Group, wireless protection program.

I personally use it on my lines over the monthly assurion just for the cheaper deductable and the new phone over a refurb.

if you or anyone else has any question feel free to PM me.

edit: sorry if it sounds too sales pitchey :(

Upvote 0
I work for a verizon retailer but we use an insurance program that coversall phones. If interested its 100$ for the 2 year program and it covers everything lost stolen water damage etc... theres a 75$ deductable and with newer devices like the atrix you do get a new in box replacement device. The program's name is Global Warrenty Group, wireless protection program.

I personally use it on my lines over the monthly assurion just for the cheaper deductable and the new phone over a refurb.

Squaretrade? I think phone insurance is too expensive...
I use Squaretrade for me PS3 though.

Upvote 0
What ever you do, make sure what you choose is not actually insurance, you are looking for complete warranty coverage, no insurance.

If you use your homeowners insurance or a rider insurance, and you use it, you will cause your credit rating and clearance house rating to go down. Once that happens, you will pay hundreds of dollars more for everything.

Your credit cards interest rate could go up. The amount you pay for car, home, health, and even travel could go up.

Ask your insurance provider for ALL the information, including what will happen if you use it. For me it was about 100 dollars more a year in insurance and a 50 point hit on my credit rating. If I used it twice in one year, it would increase my insurance rate about 300 dollars a year, more then the price of the phone, and hit my credit rating about 100 points, which mean I would end up with every one readjusting my credit score. After I used it 3 times, they would just not insure me. Which means no car, home, life or travel insurance until I tried to get new coverage, with a bad clearance house score and credit report, it would be more then 1000 dollars more a year then I am paying now. With warranties, they do not report to a clearing house, which means nothing bad can happen outside of that company.

But if you want to get insurance that pays you money if you loose your phone, BE VERY CAREFUL.

Upvote 0
I have verizon wireless and geek squad black tie protection protects att phones, vzw, and sprint's phones. its no more than 10 dollars a month and there is no down deposit like your carrier's insurance. of course i have an android phone.

There is a catch to this. Best Buy insurance does NOT cover lost/stolen or fully submersed water damage. They also don't cover certain types of accidental damage say you run over it with your car.

Some people may get by this but the policy also states you have to send your phone in and you don't get it back for about a month. You have to use a dumb phone in the mean time and have to put in a $ deposit so that you don't steal it.

BB Black tie is the worst insurance for these reasons.

Upvote 0

edit: sorry if it sounds too sales pitchey :(

Out of what I read I think this is the best deal. I'll be PMing you. Thanks!

Upvote 0
What ever you do, make sure what you choose is not actually insurance, you are looking for complete warranty coverage, no insurance.

If you use your homeowners insurance or a rider insurance, and you use it, you will cause your credit rating and clearance house rating to go down. Once that happens, you will pay hundreds of dollars more for everything.

Your credit cards interest rate could go up. The amount you pay for car, home, health, and even travel could go up.

Ask your insurance provider for ALL the information, including what will happen if you use it. For me it was about 100 dollars more a year in insurance and a 50 point hit on my credit rating. If I used it twice in one year, it would increase my insurance rate about 300 dollars a year, more then the price of the phone, and hit my credit rating about 100 points, which mean I would end up with every one readjusting my credit score. After I used it 3 times, they would just not insure me. Which means no car, home, life or travel insurance until I tried to get new coverage, with a bad clearance house score and credit report, it would be more then 1000 dollars more a year then I am paying now. With warranties, they do not report to a clearing house, which means nothing bad can happen outside of that company.

But if you want to get insurance that pays you money if you loose your phone, BE VERY CAREFUL.

Wow! Thanks. I never knew about that. That's some really good info.

Upvote 0
i love otter box, especially if you dont mind the added bulk. sure they arent the best looking but they are definately durable

I don't mind the bulk at all. I'm 6'8" 260. Lol' anything that makes a phone feel a little larger in my hand is great.

What's really pissing me off everytime I look at this thing is the experience I got at the at&t store. I bought the otterbox and then I asked about screen protectors, unaware that the otterbox protects the screen. He sells me screen protectors for 15 bucks on top of the 50 that I just paid for the otterbox. He puts the protector on for me and the we pull out the otterbox to see that it has a screen protector. At this point I'm really livid. Besides, I hate how foggy the screen protector is.

Now, as stated, I work in wireless sales. Product knowledge is key! That's in any sales position. Why wouldn't he know that this protects my screen as well so wouldnt need a screen protector under a screen protector? I just wasted money that could have gone elsewhere if he knew his merchandise.

Whew.... I had been waiting to get that off of my chest.

Upvote 0

its not actually on my home owners, but its seperate and its along with mine and my wifes jewelry insurance. i pay like $6 A MONTH and its insured for full retail, which was $499 i think. if anything happen to phone they send me a check for that amount. and it will not cause a raise in premiums or count against my regular insurance in anyway. I got in on this just in time, 2 weeks later state farm stopped insuring cell phones.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones