• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Good thinking, Verizon...

Nope, you won't. If someone else is using your extender then it will effect your bandwidth on your internet connection. You have no priority over that, only priority if your actually making a call.

I think this is horrible and I ask how can this even be allowed? The AT&T and Sprint fem's don't allow this so why would VZW? Thankfully I get great service where I live but if I din't no way I would use one of these things. Get the zboost, they work great.
Then I'd simply unplug it when I need my bandwith. But a better question is one that was brought up by a previous poster. Why does he need an extender to get service but none of his neighbors who have verizon need one?

Upvote 0
i know this thread is like 2 months old but i've recently came back from a bad trip on sprint and i just have to say extended network boxes
are great for me.

i take it with me everywhere i have a dsl connection to get the best service.
I'm sorry to hear about your bad experience.

These things are honestly lifesavers if your stuck in a contract with verizon and have no way to get a good signal.

i remember dropping calls left and ride in my house, now its perfect.
I actually have to call vzw to reset mine back up.
My network extender cost me 200 bucks

Upvote 0
Don't worry, this is a thread for the ages! Or at least until the Network Extender is obsolete. ;)

Seriously, I think that was a really sneaky move on Verizon's part, hiding this note deep in the FAQ. And it IS for their own benefit; everyone in the vicinity would notice and be all "oh man Verizon is awesome, 4 bars!", and only the small percentage of people that bother to read the manual on their electronics (VERY small percentage) would be pissed.

Upvote 0
Don't worry, this is a thread for the ages! Or at least until the Network Extender is obsolete. ;)

Seriously, I think that was a really sneaky move on Verizon's part, hiding this note deep in the FAQ. And it IS for their own benefit; everyone in the vicinity would notice and be all "oh man Verizon is awesome, 4 bars!", and only the small percentage of people that bother to read the manual on their electronics (VERY small percentage) would be pissed.

Exactly, I can't believe Verizon is doing this. Or even allowed to do this considering it uses your internet bandwidth.

Upvote 0

Seriously, I think that was a really sneaky move o

Exactly, I can't believe Verizon is doing this. Or even allowed to do this considering it uses your internet bandwidth.
Agreed. I think you should be able to disable anyone from using your extender, other than calling 911. ):

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
OK correct me if I'm wrong, if I remember right you need to program the phone to reconginize the extender *?? or #?? I cant remember the code. you know it is using the extender by the double beep when you dial or answer a call.

I have 4 verizon phones 3 are on my account and the fourth is a work issued phone. I have each one of my phones programed to recongize the extender, and I hear the double beep when ever I use one of the phones in the house. The work issued phone is not programed, and does not give me the double beep, and the service on that phone is not that great even if I'm standing five feet from the extender, which makes me belive it is not using the extender.

Course I could be wrong. First time this year :D

Another thing you could do is go into your router, and set a bandwidth usage rule on the port the extender is connected to.

Upvote 0
Then I'd simply unplug it when I need my bandwith. But a better question is one that was brought up by a previous poster. Why does he need an extender to get service but none of his neighbors who have verizon need one?

Good point. (Yes, I know that reply is old)

Not a good idea. Neighbors could illegally download files and get you in big trouble. Not worth the risk.

ROTFLMFAO - umm, do you get WiFi speeds via the extender? Last I recall (reading in this or another thread) was that you get 1X for data....

Yeah, get an illegal file (or 20) - if they're like 20 KB in size. Max.

Umm, I know there was another thread about the max range - wasn't it something like 50 or 150' radius? And don't you have to be within 50' (or even less) to initially 'pair' (for lack of a better word) to the device?

Honestly, I cannot see how this makes a huge difference...if your neighbors don't know you have the device, they aren't gonna know to get access to it, right?

OK correct me if I'm wrong, if I remember right you need to program the phone to reconginize the extender *?? or #?? I cant remember the code. you know it is using the extender by the double beep when you dial or answer a call.

I have 4 verizon phones 3 are on my account and the fourth is a work issued phone. I have each one of my phones programed to recongize the extender, and I hear the double beep when ever I use one of the phones in the house. The work issued phone is not programed, and does not give me the double beep, and the service on that phone is not that great even if I'm standing five feet from the extender, which makes me belive it is not using the extender.

Course I could be wrong. First time this year :D

Another thing you could do is go into your router, and set a bandwidth usage rule on the port the extender is connected to.

Been there, done that, burned the T-shirt.

Last time I was wrong it was because some cute chick made me think I was wrong...

And I wasn't :D

Upvote 0
ROTFLMFAO - umm, do you get WiFi speeds via the extender? Last I recall (reading in this or another thread) was that you get 1X for data....

Yeah, get an illegal file (or 20) - if they're like 20 KB in size. Max.

First off, you completely misunderstood my post :)
I was telling him he should not keep his router open and add WPA encryption to it. Otherwise neighbors could illegally download files and get him in trouble. My post was not talking about the extender.

Second off (irrelevant as it is to this thread), even if someone were to illegally download a file that is only 20 KB, does that make it any less illegal? d:

Upvote 0
No, but If they acquired the crack using your computer, then unless they use your computer to acquire it and furthermore the crack on your computer you are not gonna be prosecuted.

As for filesharing - at the speeds offered through the extender (I recall that data was an agonizingly slow 1X speed) and since the extender is limited to your phone(s)...let's just say that they'll have to build a case against your for several years to have any substantial damages to penalize you for. Remember, FS didn't become an issue until broadband opened the door to high speed file sharing. On dialup speeds it simply was not an issue.

And this is thread I have been referring to (but have been too lazy to look for thus far):

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/91854-verizon-signal-extender.html

And in particular, this post: http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid/91854-verizon-signal-extender.html#post876645

*and the last post as well.

Shadow, you were in on this conversation, so you already know it, bu the rest may not...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones