1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Goodbye OG Droid

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bogie, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Bogie

Bogie Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Programmer
    Romeoville, IL
    Decided to go ahead and order. Been holding out. I am sure something better is coming in a month or two but the original Droid just feels sluggish even after rooting.

It has been a great device though and don't regret it. Here's hoping this phone rocks just as much. :) I will find out Monday when FedEx drops it off.

Advertisement

2. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    I love this phone haha, go bionic!

3. Russellmaniakw

Russellmaniakw Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    really considering the upgrade to a Bionic. Motorola has the best hardware in my experience. My OG droid is still hanging in there and has outlasted quite a few phones that are "better" on paper.

4. William T Riker

William T Riker Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 14, 2010
    Male
    East Coast USA
    Very happy with mine so far! Passed the original onto my wife for use over wifi.

5. Bogie

Bogie Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    Programmer
    Romeoville, IL
    Agree about Motorola. I'm not really usually a "fanboy" of any specific company, but having had to send my Samsung devices in for repair a few times and having had no problems with my Droid I had to stick with Motorola.

6. HotDawg

HotDawg Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst
    After getting used to a few changes, I am pretty confident that I won't miss my OG Droid anymore. It's a darn good replacement. :)

7. marine one

marine one Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 22, 2009
    Male
    North Topsail Beach, NC
    Went from a 3 year old Moto Razr to an LG Glimmer. The Razr was bulletproof. I went through 3 Glimmers within the two year period, all were junk. Each time the touch screen would die. While not a "smart phone," there were certain features that had to be accessed via the touch screen. One of those features was the contact list. So, when the touch screen went belly up, no more contact list.
    My OG Droid has been dropped or has fallen no less than 3 times on to concrete or asphalt. Each time it has hit hard enough for the battery cover to come off and the battery to come out of the phone. Each time I picked up the pieces, put the phone back together, hit the power button and she booted right back up, seemingly no worse for the wear. That's one of the primary reasons that I'm going with another Moto phone.

8. YankeeDudeL

YankeeDudeL Android Expert
    None

Oct 25, 2009
    Male
    Wireless Sales Manager
    Another OG Droid owner passing down a beloved friend. Just need to flash either a Froyo ROM or maybe even unroot it before I hand it off to my brother.

9. Tosa90

Tosa90 Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Machinist
    Milwaukee,WI
    I'm a Motorola Fan. Starting with my trusty Moto RAZR on US Cellular 4 years ago. Still have it with a barely charged battery and it hasn't been activated in almost 3 years.

Then I went to an HTC Touch Pro running Win Mo 6.5 which crapped out after less than a year.

Payed the ETF to get my OG droid in 2/2010.

I'm now on my 4th OG Droid which was retired yesterday for my Bionic. I had 4 of them because I beat the everliving crap out of my phones. I use them in the absolute worst possible environment and drop them frequently.

First one, the Earpiece died. Replaced under warranty. Second one, cracked the screen when I dropped it. Replaced under warranty(I swear Mr. VZW Rep, It just broke.:D). Third one, Purchased off craigslist when I lost the broken second one while waiting for the replacement. Fourth one, Actual warranty replacement for the second one.

So, of the 4, only 1 has broken because of MFG defect. All the rest were my fault.

I now have both the Craigslist Droid and the Warranty replacement. Both are rooted and running Identical copies of CM7. They have both been retired to the Backup drawer. If my Bionic ever has a problem I can just pick up my OG Droid and start going with that again.

These phones will both stay in their current states for the rest of their lives. They don't need to be further upgraded, they are perfect just as they are and now only need to provide reliability and support in my times of need.

Farewell Droids. You served me well and shall live a happy life in a dry cool drawer until you are needed once again.

10. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique
    None

Nov 8, 2009
    District of Columbia
    Yep, I was emailing and using mine up to the second that it was deactivated at the store, I'll sure miss her :(.
    I'll say the build quality on the Bionic isn't as rough and tough as the OG, but I really appreciate the lighter feel.

11. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    I love this forum hahaha.

Mine actually powered off and wouldn't power on no matter what I tried (even had the camera button remapped to the power) right as I walked up and waited in line at Costco.

Looked like she realized the end was near.

I shall miss you oh Uber phone!

12. HotDawg

None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst
    I'll admit that even with my Bionic, I feel naked today without my OG. I keep having little panic attacks that I've lost it, then remember. :(

Then remember I have a BIONIC! WOOHOO! :D

13. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    Yes sir!!!

I got the extended battery for my Bionic, it adds some weight and girth, although it is still the same thickness as the OG Droid with the extended battery and the weight is still UNDER the OG Droid with extended battery.

This is a well made phone!

14. HotDawg

None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst
    If I had known that, I'd have sprung for the extended battery at the shop.

15. Vehtemas

Vehtemas Android Expert
    None

Jul 6, 2010
    Territory Manager
    I got the Costco deal and 25% off the battery so I spent a total of $320 for this deal.

16. HotDawg

None

Nov 24, 2009
    data analyst
    I spent about $340 at Verizon. Got a car dock, desk dock, 2 portable chargers (jury's still out on that thing, but it was $9). I had a $50 discount due me. Kept the Unlimited, of course!

Ordered the dock/extra battery charger on Amazon last night, but couldn't find an extra battery. And now if I get an extended battery , I might just have to return that.

17. dragma

dragma Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2011
    Male
    Dish Network, Ops Analyst
    Denver, CO
    Another OG droid owner to go to the Bionic.

Odd thing is, I still have data with the droid through 3G:thinking:

Thought that would stop once the Bionic activated.