• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Goodbye Razr community!

I would be driving in the middle of downtown Milwaukee and the GPS signal would be lost and go into searching mode. Very frustrating when you are in a busy part of downtown and need to react quickly to turns.

In all fairness, I have gotten that quite a bit on my many Moto smartphones. Including the RAZR MAXX. I do want a Samsung. The Note II to be exact. Or the GSIII if that isn't possible. :D Can't wait.

Reactions: la sal
Upvote 0
In all fairness, I have gotten that quite a bit on my many Moto smartphones. Including the RAZR MAXX. I do want a Samsung. The Note II to be exact. Or the GSIII if that isn't possible. :D Can't wait.

It was also a nightmare trying to connect my Samsung to a PC every single time. The proper drivers were installed and it still wouldn't recognize my Epic. This took away rooting the Epic for me...too risky.

Upvote 0
I have never used anything other than Moto. My list of "Smartphones" DX, DX2, D3, RAZR(white), RAZR MAXX. And the only phone I bought, was the DX lol. Through malfunctions, contests, more malfunctions and liars, I am now in the Droid RAZR MAXX :)

I had the LG Dare. I went through over ten of them(different issues). Then I broke down and bought my first smartphone. The Moto Droid X. I loved it. I then went through about 8 of them. I talked them into putting me into the DX2. They agreed. Went through a bunch of them. They said they could put me into the D3 if I wanted. I did. I loved the phone. I got an extended battery and that sucker lasted all day. I think I only went through 2 or 3 of them. Then I won the White RAZR on Twitter. Got that and loved it. Besides the battery dying in 4 hours. I got it replaced hoping it was a defect. Which it wasn't. I would get 5 hours if I was lucky. I talked with a gentleman at VZW and he suggested that I go with the MAXX. He said I was within my 14 days since having the phone. I reminded him that I won it and didn't purchase it. He said it didn't matter. He set it up and said I would be there Tuesday. It was Friday at the time. Tuesday comes and goes, no phone. :/ I waited most of Wednesday before calling. The lady I spoke with said there was no record of me talking with this other person. That there was nothing about the MAXX in the notes. I explained the situation. She was very sorry but couldn't do anything. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She also said sorry there is nothing she could do. Well, over the next few days, I called at different hours of the day talking to different people and different supervisors. I finally got a lady who was sympathetic to my situation. She took my number down and said she would look into it. After a two days she called and said that they weren't budging. That they wouldn't give me a new phone. I said I'm not asking for a new phone. I'll gladly take a refurb'd one. She said "really?" I said yeah, I don't care if it is new or not. She said she'd call me back. Later that day she called and said that she got it approved. WHEW!!! I am now in the MAXX(Which I have had replaced about 6 times lol)

The moral of the story, write down everyone's name & get confirmation numbers.

Also, I get my phone replaced for any reason. If I am not 100% satisfied, I will ask them to replace it. I am paying a crap load a month for a service that isn't always all that great. You better believe I will at least be happy with the hardware. Rattling speaker. Squeaky frame. Ear piece volume. Any freezing. Slow. Glitchy. Head phone jack static. Just some that I can think of.

Upvote 0
I have never used anything other than Moto. My list of "Smartphones" DX, DX2, D3, RAZR(white), RAZR MAXX. And the only phone I bought, was the DX lol. Through malfunctions, contests, more malfunctions and liars, I am now in the Droid RAZR MAXX :)

I had the LG Dare. I went through over ten of them(different issues). Then I broke down and bought my first smartphone. The Moto Droid X. I loved it. I then went through about 8 of them. I talked them into putting me into the DX2. They agreed. Went through a bunch of them. They said they could put me into the D3 if I wanted. I did. I loved the phone. I got an extended battery and that sucker lasted all day. I think I only went through 2 or 3 of them. Then I won the White RAZR on Twitter. Got that and loved it. Besides the battery dying in 4 hours. I got it replaced hoping it was a defect. Which it wasn't. I would get 5 hours if I was lucky. I talked with a gentleman at VZW and he suggested that I go with the MAXX. He said I was within my 14 days since having the phone. I reminded him that I won it and didn't purchase it. He said it didn't matter. He set it up and said I would be there Tuesday. It was Friday at the time. Tuesday comes and goes, no phone. :/ I waited most of Wednesday before calling. The lady I spoke with said there was no record of me talking with this other person. That there was nothing about the MAXX in the notes. I explained the situation. She was very sorry but couldn't do anything. I asked to speak to a supervisor. She also said sorry there is nothing she could do. Well, over the next few days, I called at different hours of the day talking to different people and different supervisors. I finally got a lady who was sympathetic to my situation. She took my number down and said she would look into it. After a two days she called and said that they weren't budging. That they wouldn't give me a new phone. I said I'm not asking for a new phone. I'll gladly take a refurb'd one. She said "really?" I said yeah, I don't care if it is new or not. She said she'd call me back. Later that day she called and said that she got it approved. WHEW!!! I am now in the MAXX(Which I have had replaced about 6 times lol)

Also, I get my phone replaced for any reason. If I am not 100% satisfied, I will ask them to replace it. I am paying a crap load a month for a service that isn't always all that great. You better believe I will at least be happy with the hardware. Rattling speaker. Squeaky frame. Ear piece volume. Any freezing. Slow. Glitchy. Head phone jack static. Just some that I can think of.

No wonder rates are through the roof...

Upvote 0
Because they can't(won't) make quality products? Or because I am not stupid enough to keep something I am not satisfied with that I pay through the roof for? Or both?

Bro, no phone will ever satisfy you.

You will return the GS3 or Note2 or whatever you end up buying multiple times. If it makes you feel better, do it. Just enjoy the fact that carriers aren't tracking these returns like best buy (which I hate and thoroughly disagree with). YOU are the reason Best Buy tracks returns and VZW insists on locking the bootloaders of every device. I hate the carriers greed, particularly VZW & AT&T but in this case if I was tracking ur returns I would just kick you off my network and refer you to another carrier. You are unjustifiably wasting finite resources.

You realize you've gone through $10,000 worth of fully functional phones in a few months?? Can you imagine returning 6 camrys because you found a scratch on the bumper? A nick in your cloth seats? Or returning 50 big macs because the bun was slightly burnt or the ketchup was spread unevenly? Unreal gtfo

Weird, I was just talking to this guy yesterday who has gone through 5 iphone 5's in a month and is thinking about returning the one he has, all for nitpicky shit.

Upvote 0
Bro, no phone will ever satisfy you.

You will return the GS3 or Note2 or whatever you end up buying multiple times. If it makes you feel better, do it. Just enjoy the fact that carriers aren't tracking these returns like best buy (which I hate and thoroughly disagree with). YOU are the reason Best Buy tracks returns and VZW insists on locking the bootloaders of every device. I hate the carriers greed, particularly VZW & AT&T but in this case if I was tracking ur returns I would just kick you off my network and refer you to another carrier. You are unjustifiably wasting finite resources.

You realize you've gone through $10,000 worth of fully functional phones in a few months?? Can you imagine returning 6 camrys because you found a scratch on the bumper? A nick in your cloth seats? Or returning 50 big macs because the bun was slightly burnt or the ketchup was spread unevenly? Unreal gtfo

Weird, I was just talking to this guy yesterday who has gone through 5 iphone 5's in a month and is thinking about returning the one he has, all for nitpicky shit.

How do you know what he experienced? Were you there?

I myself went through 5 bionics before getting a good one.

Upvote 0
Update time...
MAXX vs GSIII
There are two things that I miss the most.
1. Smart actions(which the GSIII has via NFC tags but it isn't quite the same)
2. Not having to charge mid day.

I will elaborate on both of these.

1. NFC is basically like "Smart Actions" only instead of triggers like on Moto, you program a NFC tag with the actions you want then you have to hold your phone over it for a second and it activates. Which isn't bad. But you have to buy the tags and then program them. Which isn't hard. But now you've got tags everywhere lol. One in my office. Two in my truck. One at my girlfriends house and one at my house. They work pretty good.

2. Battery life. This also ties into NFC. I couldn't stand my original GSIII battery. It died fairly quick. So, I purchased a slim extended cheapy battery off ebay. While the battery fit nicely without having to change the back cover and lasts a lot longer, I still have to charge throughout the day. Which, if I just plug it in every time I drive, I'm fine. The only drawback to the cheapy battery is it doesn't have the NFC antenna. Which I found out is in the battery. BOO!.

So, now I have a long lasting phone. No smart actions or NFC. But I'm on 4.1.1

I like Touch Wiz but I still use ADWLauncher to customize my screen. I love having a 5x5 grid layout. Why can't they just give me that option stock and I wouldn't need a launcher?. I am also rooted(which my MAXX was too) but I don't use root to its fullest. I am stock. I don't/haven't flashed any roms. I use it for Ad Free and Titanium Backup. I used TB because I was going through so many Moto phones. I hated losing my game saves. Starting over sucked. Anywho, I haven't had to return my GSIII. People say it isn't built as well as a Moto phone but I disagree. Everything on the GSIII is just lighter. Which to some, means cheaper. And that may be true, but like I said, I haven't returned this phone in 2 months. Which is a record for me and my Moto phones.

Another thing is, my GSIII's connection is faster than both of my brothers' MAXX's. Both LTE and WiFi.

I can't wait for the GSIV. That will be the first phone I have purchased since my Droid X. I won the RAZR and having so many replacements they offered me the GSIII which I was going to buy. :D

So, this is a toss up. Again, it all comes down to battery life. If the batteries were equal, the GSIII would win, hands down. It all comes down to taste and what flavors you like.

I for one, am very happy I made the switch.

Upvote 0
What I don't understand is why so many of u return ur phones so often?! Getting a lemon or damaging ONE device I understand but to go through 5 or 6 devices!? Insane! I had the DX from the day it came out until the Razr came out w/out a single return. I have been on my Razr ever since also w/out a return. I love my moto but the Samsung's devices have caught my attention. I need Samsung to offer hdmi, a better build quality (less plastic!), and sd cards before I jump ship. Next device most likey razr maxx hd.

Upvote 0
What I don't understand is why so many of u return ur phones so often?! Getting a lemon or damaging ONE device I understand but to go through 5 or 6 devices!? Insane! I had the DX from the day it came out until the Razr came out w/out a single return. I have been on my Razr ever since also w/out a return. I love my moto but the Samsung's devices have caught my attention. I need Samsung to offer hdmi, a better build quality (less plastic!), and sd cards before I jump ship. Next device most likey razr maxx hd.

IMO - I think they had production issues with the Maxx. I'm on my 4th phone. Prior to the MAxx, I never had to replace a phone. My OG Droid lasted 32 months and was still working fine when I did the upgrade to the Maxx.

The first two phones were replaced due to connection issues. the 3rd phone's screen died. Prior to that, it was the best performing phone I have ever used. They already have sent me a new SIM card for the 4th phone. After that, they have promised to replace it with the Samsung.

Upvote 0

its people like you that cause people to HATE working in retail.

its a phone if it freezes once, its ok. if its slow, reboot it. i had my phone since 11/11/11 on launch day and although i just upgraded to a DNA which ill get on tuesday (i LOVE htc), i didnt have 1 problem with my razr except the battery life a few times, which was my fault anyway.

what a horrible story. i wouldnt notate anything if i spoke to you myself.

Upvote 0
I am not sure whether I will get motorola again or not. My OG Droid was great, but the headphone jack died on it multiple times. When I first got the Maxx, I kept randomly losing data connectivitiy. I swapped the SIM card once, and then they replaced the phone with a new one within the 14 day return window. I replaced the SIM card one more time and then finally that problem stopped. After that, I've replaced it twice more for the headphone jack crackling, being picky, and eventually not working anymore. The second time the headphone jack was going out, the GPS wouldn't work. It perpetually said "searching for GPS", so after a factory reset and the headphone issue, I simply replaced it. Other than that, it has been a good phone.

I really want a "DNA - Galaxy III - Maxx.......with SD support, the DNA screen and camera, and the Maxx battery......nothing really will be what I TRULY want.

We shall see what happens when it's upgrade time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones