• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Goodbye to my old Pixel

xrbbaker

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
I still love my original Pixel but I suppose it's time to move on. I can see a few head to head comparisons for the 4 to 4A. I don't see any kind of comparison to my old dinosaur. Bottom line, as long as I get about what I already have with my original Pixel I'm happy. Do you think I should get comparable results from the 4A to what I hvae now? I'm sure I would get an improvement with the 4 but I doubt I need it. I don't game on it. It would be nice to have wireless charging but I don't have it now. My only concern is could the 4A be slower than my original but I don't imagine that would be the case? Thoughts?

Thank you

Reactions: ocnbrze
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
The 4a has a modern Snapdragon 730 series SoC vs the original Pixel's old Snapdragon 821. 4-5 years development is far more important than the 7 vs 8: the 730 has more and faster CPU cores and a more powerful GPU, and is based on a more efficient fabrication technology. It will absolutely be faster than the original Pixel.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
There's the standard earpiece speaker at the very top edge of the display, and a second speaker that fires out of the bottom of the phone.

https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7157629

(And yes, a headphone jack too. I assume that's functional but I couldn't find any old-timey headphones to test with. ;) )

That's what the original Pixel had, and that's really the only drawback for me. I much preferred the front facing stereo speakers of the Pixel 2 & 3 vs the 1 front & 1 bottom firing the OG Pixel had. To watch a YouTube video in landscape, you had to cup your palm around the bottom firing speaker so you didn't block the sound. But otherwise I'd say he should definitely see an improvement in performance over the OG Pixel.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones