• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

google account.. asking for password

dan330

Extreme Android User
Jan 22, 2010
today out of the blue...

my phone says...
"Re-type Password"
it has my google account name listed and waiting for password.

I went into phone setup...and google account ...
it currently has a sync issue.. failed sync.

so.. is it normal to randomly ask for password? confirmation.
or is it a spyware.. trying to fish for my password????

FYI: I have a Note3 on ATT... totally stock.

I sometimes get a 'triangle icon' in my notification tray asking for my Google or Facebook password and 90% of the time it was because I signed in on another device and it got flagged as an unauthorized sign on attempt. sync to Gmail or Facebook would fail in either case until it was resolved.

Most recently it happened when I set up my flip phone's email app to sync my Gmail and Google flagged it as an attempted hack and i'm still seeing the red bar on YouTube asking me if it was me who tried to sign in on an 'unauthorized' device. I hear in a few weeks it goes away on its own but it is annoying. so sick of companies trying to protect me from myself.

Upvote 0
I think it's legit. I would bet Google thought someone has signed into your account without your knowledge and wants to verify that. that's what it did when I used my flip phone to access my Gmail--it failed and then I got triangle alerts asking to verify my account password or change it on all my Android devices. it's bloody annoying and I think it's my decision to log into whatever device I feel the need to access my Google account with.

the strange thing is that it didn't happen because I entered my password wrong. I entered it correctly and all of a sudden BAM! your account has been hacked!

Upvote 0
Hi, if you are not experiencing a lock screen asking only for your password then you should find out how to connect your other devices to your google account.

What I had was similar to simplelocker, the native android screen ONLY asking for my password would reappear every five seconds when I switched screens or apps. It was giving me a Gmail message and a internally generated message in notification drawer and would reappear instantly as fast as I would clear them. I was very limited on where I could go on the the phone because I was being blocked by that screen demanding only my password. Normally,my picture and user name on standard Google signin would ask for me to sign in,but my browser automatically fills that in,so I just hit the login button.

When mine happened,I had already been signed in,because I was setting up two factor account protection. I had just finished,ands then that black screen with blue script asked for my password,and the strange thing is,that on my account logging record shows no IP address for that particular function. It shows my earlier one only minutes before,and always showed when I signed in from chrome ,and native browser too. But no location for that 2 step initiation.

Upvote 0
Dan 330,

You could try opening settings/ apps/ all/ then open the one for your browser/ clear cache/ clear data/ and if that don't clear it/ try disabling it/ then re- enable.

I did this.. and when I tried to restart it..
chrome asked me to accept it policies to use. then it asked for my google account to sign in.. so it can keep tabs on my usage.. of course.

so.. I am feeling like the Notification to re-enter my password is not malware.
1. maybe google is confirming it randomly.
2. I accidently with fingers in my pocket (or whatever) messed it up. (kind of hard to believe)
3. the phone screwd up.. and lost the password.. a bug?

Upvote 0
I still think that Google is attempting to prevent an unauthorized sign on attempt (so much as having two devices syncing the same Google account is enough to cause this) and has made sync impossible on all connected devices until the owner of the account can verify his/her sign-on attempt. in which case the triangle and notification will go away and everything goes back to normal. you might have to deal with a orange/red bar saying 'Google prevented a possible unauthorized sign on attempt from an unknown device was it you? ' for a few days though if you go to Google's website or the desktop version of YouTube.

Upvote 0
update...

on my PC.. google site logged me off.. and said there was some odd activities on my account and it made me change my password. which I did.

I tried to use my old password on my phone, in that notice. it did not work.
I am still not logged on to my phone's google account.
strange that my Google Voice app on the phone started to let me in. I can see and read new messages... cant respond.

I think it is legit

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones