• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Google account sync

kcl71

Lurker
Apr 8, 2010
How can I change my update frequency settings for my Google account? Don't see an option in settings and account where its located. If I set up my gmail account in mail will those settings control the Google sync? Just trying to keep it from updating too much and all my other accounts are syncing when I want them to. Thanks ahead of time for any help.

I had the same issue. My fix was to setup google to manually sync just to be safe. I made this decision just after I got my phone and the stock settings were killing the battery in about five hours or maybe even less. Something was syncing all the time. I have not changed it, though I do use google services. I just manually sync it when I need it.

Upvote 0
Google sync should not be running all of the time. I've had sync hang up on me before and usually just a simple reboot fixes it.

Google sync works like Exchange with push notifications. That means it doesn't constantly poll the email servers to check for new emails. It simply "senses" that a new email is there and then retrieves it. If there is no new emails...there is no reason to sync.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones