1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Account

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Mike.Adams, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Mike.Adams

Mike.Adams Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    I added a fake account when i got the phone since i cant remember my real accounts email how do i remove the old fake one? i added my real one but everything still likes to use my old fake one.

Advertisement

2. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert
    None

You'll need to do a hard reset, then log in with the google account you want your phone to be associated with.

3. Mike.Adams

Mike.Adams Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    How do I do a hard reset?

How do I backup my current contact list and such?

4. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert
    None

What device do you have? Might I suggest reviewing the owners manual or the associated forum here?

Are you contacts synced to the fake google account?

5. Billaguana

Billaguana Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    You do not need to do a hard reset. You will just need to go to "Settings"->"Accounts and sync" and add the new one and remove the old one. That simple. Anything, like your contacts, can then be switched over to the new account before your remove the old one. It is a long/strenous(spelling) process but it will do what you want. The only problem is that the apps you have bought will be lost and you will need to rebuy them on your real account.

6. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    This is incorrect. Android does not allow you to remove the primary Gmail account.

You will need to do a factory reset in order to change the primary Gmail account on your phone. To do this, go to "Menu > Settings > Privacy, and then click Factory data reset". Be aware this will wipe out all your data and apps, so make sure you back up your information first.

7. Mike.Adams

Mike.Adams Newbie
    None

Mar 7, 2011
    Droid 2. so it should be easy to just back the contacts up and then import them into my real google account then resync once connected right?

The hard reset won't require me to have to have the phone reactivated or anything at the verizon store right?

8. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    The reset has nothing to do with phone activation, so don't worry about that.

For your contacts, just go to contacts, click "menu > import /export" and export your contacts to your SD card on the phone. Then when you log into the new account after a reset, just import the contacts from the SD card. Done in minutes.

9. Billaguana

Billaguana Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    Lol, yes android does allow you to switch the main account. Granted, some information is given to the account you first sign in with that isn't given if you switch but if you add a valid Google account and completely remove the other one then it accepts it as the main account. Not to doubt you guide, but have done this to my own phone and it works like a charm.

10. AndroidSPCS

None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    Please share with how you're able to do this.

I have owned over half a dozen Android phones, different brands, tablets, and none have been able to do this. No one else here has ever stated they could do this.

What Android device have you done this with, what Android version?

11. Billaguana

Billaguana Newbie
    None

Jul 9, 2011
    I did this with a Motorola Droid A855 back when it first came out running Android 2.0. I did it the same way I described in an earlier post. If you add it to the Accounts page and remove the other one after switching all your stuff over to the new one, then out can do anything(as far as I used it) under the new account including emails and such. The nice thing is that it let me keep all the apps I had previously downloaded or payed for on the other account. Guide, you probably know more then me and are much more experienced so at best I would take his advice over mine, but I just know this has worked for me in the past. Like I said earlier though, there is some info Google gives the account originally registered that isn't given to an account added later but it still worked out in the end for me. This also may not be an option anymore given that I did this and android 2.0 and they have done many changes since then.