• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google+ Accounts Now Used for Play Store Reviews

I don't have a profile with Google now. I didn't use my right name, they have location only by GPS, they don't have birthday or gender. All they have is name, phone,and carrier (only one phone) and I like it that way. I don't feel like being pestered about a profile or posting.

I have both FB and Twitter accounts - FB only for those devs who put their customer service or web site there. Twitter only follows Mars Rovers. I keep getting email as to why I don't post. Google Play managed to hide the logout menu on the computer for a couple of weeks with a big pesty notice about joining +. I know I don't have to use it, but it's the principle of the thing. I prefer this site to either FB or Twitter. I don't have people who might have a general interest pestering to be friends, most of the posts stay on topic. I'd want an "eff-off" button as I'm not interested in half of those "people you might know" pitches.

Upvote 0
I still have both Blogger and Picasa. They are empty. I deleted all the stuff and moved it elsewhere. I can't delete just those.

I'm slowly moving all email to another provider. Gmail will just be used for spam, eventually (and Play)

I also mail the devs. A lot of the apps I use also have members on a very respected astronomy forum also. I can tell them there.

Upvote 0
I prefer this siteto either FB or Twitter. I don't have people who might have a general interest pestering to be friends, most of the posts stay on topic. I'd want an "eff-off" button as I'm not interested in half of those "people you might know" pitches.

I think that we should ask zuben el genub to be our friend/contact on android forums :p;)

Upvote 0
Also worth noting is that G+ is in principle one directional when it come to contact so everyone can follow whoever they want to without the other party having to react in any manner.

I must admit I have many two directional contacts from the closed beta period with many of my real life friends when people joined just because and had no idea how different from Facebook this was going to be. Since then I have almost only started following different bloggers and companies and stopped caring about unknown people following me.

Strangely some even bigger companies start following you back even if you produce no content. Maybe they feel that it's courteous or something but absolutely needless unless they want to share something limited to their own circles only which I doubt.

Upvote 0
I agree forcing anything like social networks on users is bad, like when you couldn't create a Spotify account without a Facebook account. However, what you write above I find very hard to believe would stand in any court in western world. On working hours, yes but on your free time, never.

FWIW, I also did a trial review. It shows my name but nothing in my stream which I guess is ok by me. Not preferred but I guess it makes other reviews more trustworthy in my eyes.

If you are using a company issued phone you can be barred from using social networking on the phone even in your own time. On your own phone, no, they have no say. But with some companies demanding access to your social accounts, you could still have trouble. Some companies also demand you have a social account.

2 states just passed laws making this illegal. A school or company cannot ask for access to a private account.

I still think Google is doing this to one-up FB.

Just to explain...

In a previous job, as a Government contractor, working for a specific agency, I was required not only to delete a MySpace account I had at the time, but I also was required to sign a document prohibiting me from using any social networking site for a period of 25 years.
I signed the document because I wanted to keep the job I had at the time, did not really care either way about social networks, and did not want to get into a tangle with the Federal Govt.

As for using Government or a company owned computer or smartphone, I didn't. How the government agency knew I had a MySpace account, I really don't know. Honestly, the MySpace account had nothing on it except my name, age, e-mail address, and the city where I lived.

Since then, I have not used any Social Networking site. I am a member of this site, other Forum sites, and Linkedin.

Each time I have joined such a site, I checked with the company FSO and got his approval. I am, however, still prohibited from using sites such as Facebook, G+, Twitter, etc.

Upvote 0
In a previous job, as a Government contractor, working for a specific agency, I was required not only to delete a MySpace account I had at the time, but I also was required to sign a document prohibiting me from using any social networking site for a period of 25 years.
I signed the document because I wanted to keep the job I had at the time, did not really care either way about social networks, and did not want to get into a tangle with the Federal Govt.

Sounds totally bizarre to me but maybe laws where you live enable you to sign contracts to give away your personal freedoms long after you've quit the job. I understand perfectly the need for NDA's but did they even give you any proper reason? I tried Googling (pun intended) for a while but couldn't really find anything resembling your case. Just some people who claimed they were forbidden by government from receiving endorsement and had issues with them in LinkedIn. Not sure what country's government it was though.

25 years is a long time. For all we know, the social networks might be certified indentity providers long before that although I seriously hope that never happens :(

Reactions: kct1975
Upvote 0
cannot rate it due to the requirement by Google to have a G+ account, which I don't and won't have.

kct1975, when did you create the Gmail account for your Android device? Did you somehow delete the Google+ account that would have been automatically created for you?

Google Requires People to Use the Google+ Social Network, Gains Ground Against Facebook - WSJ.com

I keep seeing people say they don't/won't have a Google+ account, but a Google+ account page (even if you never use the service) is automatically created for every Gmail account.

So, unless you are somehow "grandfathered" out, or have managed to delete the G+ account without hurting your Gmail account, then despite what you may think, you do have a G+ account.

I would be happy to be proven wrong, more data is always good.

Upvote 0
I keep seeing people say they don't/won't have a Google+ account, but a Google+ account page (even if you never use the service) is automatically created for every Gmail account.

So, unless you are somehow "grandfathered" out, or have managed to delete the G+ account without hurting your Gmail account, then despite what you may think, you do have a G+ account.

Although I've never gone to the actual G+ url and logged in or created an account, I always thought there was one automatically created for me, especially since activating my first Android device. I've had a Gmail account since I got outta Nam, but think the G+ got tacked on when I got a smartphone... I just get the idea the account is hanging out there.

I just went to G+ on my PC and entered my Gmail login and it takes me to a screen saying "Join Google + by creating your public profile", (Step 1 Upgrade, Step 2 Add people, Step 3 Be awesome).

So I don't know. Do I have an account or not. I really don't want one or want to be forced to have one to accomplish other things (like rating an application that has absolutely nothing to do with G+. May as well force me to have a Starbucks reward card to vote in an election)

Upvote 0
I got a Gmail account long before + and long before Buzz. I have absolutely no idea if Google stuck a + account in there or not. I have Tbird configured to get mail from Gmail. I haven't looked at the web page in a long time. Nor have I updated the Gmail app on the phone. I use Aquamail to get the mail.

Google tried this nonsense with Buzz years ago and got shot down by either privacy legislation or connecting to Buzz without asking if you wanted to opt in or not,
At launch, Google's decision to opt-in its user base with weak privacy settings caused a serious breach of user information and garnered significant criticism - wikipedia

So now they are going in the back door by requiring + for services you might want. But you can NOT use the services.

I already have Yahoo screaming about a public profile. They ain't getting it. Even Iron Browser makes the comment about not using anything like social extensions.
Fx has about:config that lets you tweak.

If you want a public profile, you will have to allow me to state I am a sky blue pink alien from the constellation Libra.

I saw a news article the other day that Google is now in 2nd and 3rd place in social networking. I suppose they will push even harder until they are number one.

Upvote 0
So I don't know. Do I have an account or not?

Log-in to Google Dashboard and all shall be revealed. ;)

Anyone at all concerned with the privacy of their personal data should do so, in fact. It allows users to see what is shared, with whom, and most importantly how to make it more private.

Upvote 0
kct1975, when did you create the Gmail account for your Android device? Did you somehow delete the Google+ account that would have been automatically created for you?

Google Requires People to Use the Google+ Social Network, Gains Ground Against Facebook - WSJ.com

To answer your question, I have had a Gmail account since about 2006. I have an Android phone since about 2009.

With both, I was never required to have a G+

In fact, until I updated my YouTube app a couple of months ago, I did not have a G+ account. Updating my YouTube app on my phone forced me to create a G+ account to complete the installation of the updated app.

I was ticked-off. I the Googled on how to get rid of the G+ account, found the instructions, and deleted it. With some effort, I was able to revert my YouTube account to being linked to my Gmail account instead of a G+ account.

I was planning on upgrading my my current OG EVO to the LTEVO soon, but if I would be forced to create a G+ account just activate my phone, I may have to rethink that.

As I have mentioned, I am prohibited from using Social Networking sites, and I wish Google and other companies would understand that there individuals like me, that cannot and will not use social networks.

Upvote 0
Log-in to Google Dashboard and all shall be revealed. ;)

Anyone at all concerned with the privacy of their personal data should do so, in fact. It allows users to see what is shared, with whom, and most importantly how to make it more private.

Excellent advice Slug. I stumble into my Google dashboard very infrequently, but when I do it is sobering as to the amount of data and how big the snowball has gotten since my last visit. In fact, I think I'm going to create a calendar item to jump in there every now and then to be sure only what I want to have access to my account does.

Upvote 0
Maybe Google sees G+ as the best way to deal with "unhelpful Google Play commenters".

While I understand the need for Google and App Authors to make sure that comments posted on Google Play to be kept useful and clean, there is no reason it has to linked to a social network account.

Honestly, I would have no problem at all having my comments linked to my Gmail account, and the App Authors having the ability to see my Gmail address, and ask me about my comments.

Upvote 0
I think it's total BS, Google is obviously trying to boost their + membership numbers in order to increase ad revenue. If I bought/downloaded an app I should be able to leave a review without having to sign up for Google's latest ad serving toy....

Needless to say, I won't be leaving any reviews, and I'd imagine a lot of other people feel the same way......

Upvote 0
I think it's total BS, Google is obviously trying to boost their + membership numbers in order to increase ad revenue. If I bought/downloaded an app I should be able to leave a review without having to sign up for Google's latest ad serving toy....

Needless to say, I won't be leaving any reviews, and I'd imagine a lot of other people feel the same way......

Yup...when I like an app now, I e-mail the developer letting them know Iike their app, and that do to Google's recent policy change, I won't be leaving a rating at the Play Store.

Upvote 0
It is just frustrating that the way the world seems to be going is that at some point, having a Social Networking will be a requirement to use apps on a Smartphone or to log into websites.

Just sux...that's all.

If that is the way the electronic world is going, then I may either have to eventually 'drop off' the digital grid or I may have to get a lawer to try to get me out of the Social Networking prohibition I am under from the Federal Government.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones