1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google and Motorola hosed me..........

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Steve Kelly, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Steve Kelly

Steve Kelly Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2017
    I got locked out of my phone because I forgot my Google password. Well, I waited the 72 hours at first and after changing my Google password I still could not get in. In short I contacted Google, and they said I needed to contact Motorola. Motorola made me verify the purchase which is okay, and I did just that. Instead of give me a solution to the problem they said the phone was out of warranty, and they would give me a used phone, but it would cost me 100.00. In short I lose my phone and get a used one after I give them 100.00. Basically, I told them to take there offer and you know what they can do with it. So Google ruined me being able to use my phone, and neither Google or Motorola have an idea how to fix it. Again, I have the receipt and proved I was the sole owner of the phone. This almost sounds like a scam by Motorola to retire older phones and still make a quick buck. To be very honest I am looking at Apple now, and not because the OS is better. Apple does some shady things with software upgrades, but they have never made it to where I can't use the phone.

Advertisement

2. doniago

doniago Android Enthusiast

Sep 17, 2010
    Male
    Finance
    Burlington, VT
    Can't you boot into recovery and do a Factory Data Reset at least? I don't understand why simply getting locked out of your phone would necessitate getting an entirely new one.

3. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    That sounds like FRP (Factory Reset Protection). The Droid Turbo shipped with Kit Kat (4.4) which didn't have that option. Have you updated your Android version to 5 (Lollipop) or higher? If it is FRP, then a factory reset will not help, although you should be able to verify the reset with any account that was on the phone at the time of the reset.

@Steve Kelly , what led up to you needing your Google account credentials? Did you reset the phone? Or, did you get locked out because you entered a pin, pattern or password incorrectly too many times? In that case, a factory reset might work as long as you have a data connection on the phone so it can sync the new password.

I can't fault Motorola for not replacing a 3 year old phone without some fee involved. But, I think replacing the phone might be a bit drastic. You should still be able to get your existing phone working if it's only a credential problem.

Unforgiven likes this.
  4. Steve Kelly

Steve Kelly Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2017
    Thanks, and we have tried everything including a factory reset, and then logging back in. It will not login using the current Google account. I don't want a new phone, and just want this one to unlock. Thanks for the advice. I did read somewhere that Verizon use to create Google accounts to setup the phones on purchase. All I can think of is they did this on the initial setup and never gave us the Google account info.

5. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Even if they did this in store (which I doubt) you would have had to have the credentials to get email, log into the Play store on a PC etc. It should be looking for the credentials of ANY google account that was on the device at the time of the reset.

6. Steve Kelly

Steve Kelly Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2017
    I understand, and that is what I thought. My Google account even shows the phone as one of the devices. The Motorola support person said that it is all on Google and that they held the key to the unlock. But Google was the one that sent me to Motorola in the first place.The phone is in really good order and I just want to be able to use it, and don't want to spend another 699.00 to 799.00 when I have this phone. I have proved I own it by supplying the original receipt from Verizon, so there are not any issues with ownership. Thanks again for responding.

7. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    They built the system into Android, but I'm not sure there's anything they can do to reset it for you.

Here's what I'd do.

First verify the Google account sees the phone. I know you said you saw the phone listed in your account, I am assuming it was in Device Manager. When you select the phone, it should show you the last time it connected to the play store. Does the date look right?

Shut the phone off and remove the SIM card. Boot into recovery and first wipe the system cache. Then perform a factory reset.

If I remember how FRP works, the phone will boot, prompt you to select a language, the ask you to connect to WiFi. Enter your wifi credentials and make sure it connects. The next screen should be for your Google credentials and this is where you get hung up. Am I right so far?

Now wait. Don't enter your email or password. Let the phone sit. How long? I'd give it an hour, just to give the new credentials an opportunity to sync to the device. Once that time has passed, enter your full gmail address and the NEW password (the one you used to sign into device manager). If everything is working according to Google's description, then you should be able to finish setting up your phone. If not, I am at a loss as to why it's not working.

In the future, before you factory reset an Android phone, if you remove all accounts prior to the reset, you won't have this happen again.

8. Steve Kelly

Steve Kelly Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2017
    Thanks and I will give it a try, and let you know how it turns out.

Unforgiven likes this.
  9. Steve Kelly

Steve Kelly Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2017
    I tried it and all work fine until the login. The phone shows up on my computer, and I try logging in. After putting the password in I get the message "Please sign in using one of the owner's accounts for this device". I have only had one account that would have been used and that does not work. I understand this is for our protection, but I have proved to Google and Android it is my phone with the receipt from Verizon, plus it shows as one of my previous devices on the Verizon network. Neither Google or Motorola know what to do next, and that is when Motorola said to give them 100.00 and they would send me a new phone. My point is that with a receipt from the vendor with my name on it they should be able to unlock the phone.

I really think the Verizon sales person setup the phone with their account or one the store might have used. The Verizon person at the store I went to get the receipt said that was a practice they used before. So I think I am SOL.

Thanks again fior your help, and it is nice to know others are out there to help.

10. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Just to be clear, the account you are using to sign in is [accountname]@gmail.com? And the password you are using is the new password that you reset for this account?

11. Steve Kelly

Steve Kelly Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2017
    Yes to the password reset. I think Google and Motorola are doing exactly what is meant to be done. For some reason the phone was setup in the beginning with another Google account that was not mine. If I knew what was used to setup the phone I would be good to go. It only went south after I did a factory reset, and now I need the original account it was setup with. That makes total sense to me since that is how the security software keeps anyone from resetting the phone if it was stolen. All your information would have worked fine, if I had the original setup account. If I knew what I know now I would have inquired how it was setup. My point to Google and Motorola is that I have the receipt in my name, so they should have a workaround in place. If it was an iPhone the Apple Store would reset it with proof of purchase. All Motorola says is that it is out of warranty, but I don't agree with them that it is a warranty issue. Thanks again for the advice, and it is appreciated.

12. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

May 15, 2015
    Male
    Electrician
    Satsuma,Alabama
  13. lunatic59

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    As far as I know, that shouldn't matter for FRP. It is supposed to work with ANY active account on the phone at the time of reset. This is right from Google's information on FRP:

However, there does seem to be one "gotcha"

If I read that correctly, and this is where most people run into problems, even if you change the password AFTER a reset, you have to wait 24 hours before you attempt to enter it. If you do it prematurely it seems bad things happen.

A lot of people don't even realize FRP is active on their phones and only run into this issue when they have to reset for a technical reason.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  14. Steve Kelly

Steve Kelly Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2017
    You are 100% right about people not knowing FRP is activated. The Motorola rep says there is no way around it, and the best they can do is give me a used phone for 100.00. It just seems like companies like Motorola and Google would be able to reset the phone if I have proof of purchase, and I do.

Jfalls63 likes this.