• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google announces FULL FLASH support for Android 2.2!!

Google is feeling the heat due to HTML 5 and Apple. Expect 10.1 to be released on Android late June or July. The BIG catch is the fragmentation. Just because Adobe releases final code and Android team bakes it in does not mean everyone sees it at the same time, or ever.

1. Only 3430 (Droid) and Snapdragon (Inc, Nexus) devices are getting it. Arm 11 (7200 series) are not getting it- ever. Was not coded for older chipsets, as per Adobe discussion threads- need the GPU.

2. Inc has the Sense UI, so will need to wait longer for HTC to release their spin of 2.2 OS.

My guess is that Nexus will see an official 2.2 release at least one month before any custom version of the OS (like Sense).

Me thinks there will be a lot of rooted Droids and (maybe) Inc's getting it way before the official Verizon release. Droid may win this race, since easy to put custom kernels and roms on it. Incredible can be rooted, but not yet proven that kernels and roms are as easy to apply as previous devices.

Reactions: phorts
Upvote 0
Oh god..i can see it now ... "Incredible to 2.2 - When?"

The "Eris to 2.x - When?" thread is 4500 posts long.

Please.. dont let this happen to you.

It'll come out when it comes out. By buying the Incredible over the Nexus One we all must realize that one of the trade offs is that we'll get updates much slower than the N1 due to the fact that HTC must also reprogram their Sense UI to work with ANY new OS updates that Android comes out with. It then has to pass Verizon tests/standards which will cause further delay.

Eris has been waiting for their 2.1 update for months now and it appears it'll be another month at least before they get it.

Patience Daniel San.

Upvote 0
Having a phone OS out there with full Flash 10.1 support is a good thing for everyone. It will keep all the camps innovating to try to be the best web media implementation out there.

The last thing we'd want to see is innovation and improvements slowing down with HTML5 because they thought maybe Flash was starting to lose its significance.

Plus, I'm sure we all don't mind having a phone that supports all of it. :)

Upvote 0
Had Jobs not been pushing HTML 5, your concerns are well founded. My guess is they are focused by competition to speed it up and at least get the beta out there ASAP.
Jobs can push HTML5 all he wants, not even God Jobs can speed up the finalization of HTML5 by that much--although I've heard that parts of HTML5 is stable and has been partially rolled out.

Upvote 0
It depends on how much they integrated senseui into 2.1, it very well could, none of us know yet. But my guess it eventually SenseUI will be a component all of its own and just a layer on top of the os which can be used or uninstalled down the road. I"m guessing HTC doesn't want to devote the needed manpower to update every device everytime they come out with a new version of the android os which seems to be every few months now.

Upvote 0
Not really. Adding a few extras features to 2.1 will not make Sense UI fail.

Point is rather than get the release as a Google Experience device, we will have to wait for HTC to bolt their stuff on to it. Hero has never gotten an update from 1.5 yet. Eric has not yet, either, so maybe they both have to do with having older chipsets and no dedicated GPU.

Those devices are NOT getting 2.2, due to Flash 10.1 being part of the framework. Which brings up an interseting point- how will Adobe be able to release a beta of Flash for Android, if part of the framework (would need to be in th OS)?

Upvote 0
Point is rather than get the release as a Google Experience device, we will have to wait for HTC to bolt their stuff on to it. Hero has never gotten an update from 1.5 yet. Eric has not yet, either, so maybe they both have to do with having older chipsets and no dedicated GPU.

Those devices are NOT getting 2.2, due to Flash 10.1 being part of the framework. Which brings up an interseting point- how will Adobe be able to release a beta of Flash for Android, if part of the framework (would need to be in th OS)?
The Hero and Eris both have fully dedicated GPUs on thier SOC. The only problem is both CPU and GPU on those phones are so old and slow its just a waste of time to focus resources to updating them to 2.1.

Upvote 0
One point was made in another thread is that although we WILL have to wait for HTC to adapt their Sense UI to ANY Android OS updates, the jump from 2.1 to 2.2 will not be as intensive as the jump from 1.5 to 2.x that the Eris/Hero users are experiencing right now.

The Moto Droid, even though it doesnt have Sense UI, still has to wait for Verizon to test and distribute the OTA update. Verizon has been notoriously thorough (see slow) with ALL updates for ALL manufacturers (See Blackberry).

So, my thought is that the Moto Droid's update history is more of a barometer of what we should expect for the updates to the Incredible than is the Eris/Hero.

Still painfully slow, but more of a when not an if as Verizon is sure to keep updating their flagship Android phones at a much faster pace than their discontinued ones.

Ps - Rushmore - Flash Lite 4 is not Flash 10.1 and therefore is not "Full Flash Support"... i'm still unsure as to what the limitations are of FL4 vs Flash 10.1 so if someone wants to shed some light on that, that would be helpful

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones