• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google applications very flaky

shoofy

Lurker
Apr 16, 2010
About 2 days ago all the Google applications on my phone started being very unreliable. The one I use most, Gmail, is constantly restarting. Usually the first time I try to open a message the whole app restarts and then I can open the message, but often it will restart again before I get through the whole thing. There is no error message of any kind, it just restarts. I've had similar, but less frequent, issues with Google Talk and Google Voice that started at the same time. I originally thought it was just that I was out of memory, but I tried killing everything with TaskKiller and it didn't fix anything.

I think the only change I've made to my phone recently is installing Skype and I kind of need it at the moment.

Has anyone else had these issues or know how I could fix them?

The only issue I have had is with Google maps. If I let it sit for a second to where the lock screen comes on, after unlocking it, the touch screen does not work at all and I have to use the trackball to turn the phone off and back on.

I posted the same thing in the Sprint Hero thread and didn't get many replies. It seems rather uncommon, but I figured I might mention it here because it is a Google app.

If you are not worried about losing other apps, I would try a hard reset. Back your contacts up to gmail and just reload them. Put skype back on it and see if you have the same problem.

Upvote 0
Have you restarted your phone?

Look at Home > Menu > Settings > SD Card & Memory > How much free memory do you have on your phone?

I only have 72 MB free on the phone. Is that little enough to be causing this problem? I've tried restarting many times and it doesn't help. I realized today that the problem also affects text messages, so I'm basically working with a phone that the only thing it can really do without crashing is be a phone and it does that pretty slowly. Maybe I should just upgrade it to a 2.1 leak and see if that solves things for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones