1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Google Apps Email + Disappearing Email + POP3 + Outlook

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Latvik, May 1, 2012.

1. Latvik

Latvik Lurker
    None

May 1, 2012
    Ok here's my issue, we use Google Apps - Pop3 for Outlook on desktop and laptop with Leave Message on the Server etc. so the emails can be re-downloaded on both devices (clean up is therefore done by logging into gmail when needed).

Now comes the awesome part. setting up a Galaxy S2 to access said Google Apps email account.....

Can't use IMAP because it totally effs up the desktop/laptop, can't seem to get Pop3 to work fully because as I'm sitting there watching emails literally disappear from the phone in front of my eyes I want to blow something up....

anyone come up with a solution?

If IMAP could just have a damn feature like POP3 to leave a copy on the server, or at least "do not super sync" from this device, I would be set, but alas it doesn't.

Advertisement

2. sambarino

sambarino Lurker
    None

May 6, 2012
    Having the exact same problem with a Samsung Galaxy here but when using POP3.

The only answers I've found so far are to either use a different email app (like K-9 mail) or to set outlook (if you're using that) to leave emails on the server (using pop3).

Some people with the problem said that what was happening was as outlook downloaded the email it disappeared from the phone. I haven't tried yet so I will report back if that fixes it, I don't know why IMAP doesn't have that setting.

3. Suctoes

Suctoes Lurker
    None

Nov 24, 2009
    Maintenance Tech.
    Ohio
    I'm having the same problem, But I have mine set not to delete messages from server!

When I check my email on my epic touch they not only get deleted from my server when I go back into recheck or reply to emails on my phone, they will vanish even if I'm in the middle of reading one!! This sucks! between this and the horriable gps on this phone I'm starting to regret leaving my EVO.

4. Sierra255

Sierra255 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 15, 2011
    If you're using the stock e-mail app that comes with the phone, that's your problem. It has a mind of its own it seems. It will just randomly get rid of messages only to download them all over again an hour or more later. It's frustrating. Then I found K-9 Mail. It doesn't have this problem. It actually works like an e-mail app is supposed to work. There may be other good e-mail apps out there, but K-9 seemed to get the best reviews.

5. notthatbob

notthatbob Lurker
    None

Aug 22, 2012
    I had this same issue with an HTC, and with Thunderbird and Opera clients on a laptop.

This is entirely a Google issue (a bit of stupidity on their part).

1. Log in using a browser, and in the Gmail interface, click the gear button thing to get to "settings".

2. In "settings" click the "Forwarding and POP/IMAP" link

3. Click the radio button next to "Enable POP for ALL MAIL (even mail that's already downloaded).

After that your POP mail should work the way POP mail is supposed to work.

6. dlonergan

dlonergan Lurker
    None

Mar 21, 2011
    This worked for me, but be forewarned that because you're choosing "even mail that's already downloaded" your Outlook is going to download all of the mail you've already received. My Android devices now have the emails they were missing, but my Outlook inbox has 1526 unread messages (and counting). Yuk.