• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google apps only (inc Maps) don't connect to GPS (maybe because of AppOps??)

prawn_guevara

Oct 13, 2011
So I have just realised Google apps inc Earth and Maps (and Chrome) will and do not connect to GPS, but other apps will. I've been racking brain for ages trying to figure why but I think it may be to do with the now defunct and unusable AppOps where I had turned off Google services access to GPS once before the App got closed down.

Now has this messed up my GPS on G products? How can I fix? Thanks help much appreciated.

:(

You didn't give people much time to respond before bumping!

First thing is to check your location settings, just to make sure you've not turned off location for these apps there. Check the Google Settings app too.

If that doesn't do it, tell us more about your phone, OS version, whether rooted or not. There may be a way to re-enable app ops (I have it on mine, which is running 4.4.2, but I am rooted and running a custom ROM).

Upvote 0
You didn't give people much time to respond before bumping!

First thing is to check your location settings, just to make sure you've not turned off location for these apps there. Check the Google Settings app too.

If that doesn't do it, tell us more about your phone, OS version, whether rooted or not. There may be a way to re-enable app ops (I have it on mine, which is running 4.4.2, but I am rooted and running a custom ROM).

Thanks, location is all on, high accuracy. GPS turns on for all apps other than Google apps, like Maps, Chrome etc. I'm on 4.4.3 unrooted, Nexus 5. I'm wondering if I turned off some setting in App Ops before it got shut down for unrooteds.

Upvote 0
Could the apps that don't work with GPS be demanding another Google service besides the normal location settings?

I've 2 types of apps - astronomy and weather. Astronomy is always spot on for GPS coordinates, and the newer weather apps can't seem to pinpoint exact location with GPS and network. They are not far off, but not accurate, either. One has my location in a no longer named subdivision. The old Weatherbug Elite agreed with the astronomy apps. I've had the astronomy apps for a while, same with Weatherbug.
It's the newer downloads of Accuweather and Intellicast that can't get it right.

I don't have maps - I don't need them. Don't have Google Earth, either.

Rooted, but still on 4.2

Upvote 0
Could the apps that don't work with GPS be demanding another Google service besides the normal location settings?

I've 2 types of apps - astronomy and weather. Astronomy is always spot on for GPS coordinates, and the newer weather apps can't seem to pinpoint exact location with GPS and network. They are not far off, but not accurate, either. One has my location in a no longer named subdivision. The old Weatherbug Elite agreed with the astronomy apps. I've had the astronomy apps for a while, same with Weatherbug.
It's the newer downloads of Accuweather and Intellicast that can't get it right.

I don't have maps - I don't need them. Don't have Google Earth, either.

Rooted, but still on 4.2

I think the Google apps that don't connect to GPS require google services access that App Ops has blocked?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones