1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google assistant

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Bryan Lacy, Jul 6, 2021.

1. Bryan Lacy

Bryan Lacy Lurker

I have a Note 20 and my google assistant does not respomd to voice commands, does anyone else have this issue or any advice?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. marctronixx

press and hold the square on the home screen and see if it activates.
    did you just buy the phone? ever had an android phone before?
    what launcher, if any , are you using?
    has it ever responded to you? what about bixbi?

3. Bryan Lacy

Bryan Lacy Lurker

I am a long time android user, i feel like it used to work but has not in a while, bixby responds fine...i can activate it by gestures, i have tried voice training but it just does not do anything when i say hey or okay google

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I have a Note20 Ultra, and mine didn't come with Google Assistant. It only had Bixby, which I disabled.

puppykickr likes this.
  5. Bryan Lacy

Bryan Lacy Lurker

Did that help with google?... I downloaded assistant but its specifically the voice that does not work.

6. marctronixx

google assistant is included on the note 20 ultra 5G unlocked as well as the z fold 2 unlocked -- both i have and both were delivered to me with google assistant installed. this is a fact with the unlocked phones because i bought these direct from samsung. cant speak for other variants.

when you long press the home screen button, the assistant should pop up. if its not fully activated (meaning its on the phone but doesn't respond to your voice) then you need to setup the app or there is something in your google account you have disabled to turn off google assistant.

i don't like bixby or the google version so i went into my google account months ago and disabled google assistant from activating when it heard "google" or whatever. i suspect if you have been tinkering around with your account at one point you may have disabled something without knowing.

this time when i long pressed the home screen, im taken to a new landing page that seems to suggest i need to give permissions for things. maybe you should do this yourself and see if you see the same page.

is your phone unlocked or a carrier variant?

7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I bought mine directly from the local Samsung store, but it is the China variant, unlocked of course.

On mine, that activated Bixby.

marctronixx likes this.
  8. marctronixx

i cant speak for any other variants other than the unlocked ones shipped in the US. both the z fold 2 and note 20 activate google by long pressing the middle button on the bottom screen. if you use Bixby then bixby probably has taken over that spot, which is understandable. ive deactivated bixby so that does not activate even on the side buttons.

mikedt likes this.
  9. Bryan Lacy

Bryan Lacy Lurker

My phone is through xfinity, but i see alot of people saying the same the last couple weeks in reviews on the playstore for the assistant app thinking it is maybe tied to a recent update...not sure though... it works fine when i swipe to open it including voice recognition but it istill wont open on the hey google voice prompt even after uninstalling and re downloading the app

mikedt and marctronixx like this.
  10. marctronixx

maybe it is. you can always send a report to google and inquire, rather than read a lot of speculation over the internet.

to help, i just setup the google assistant and once i did, and accepted the new privacy blurbs (that is associates certain thigns you say with their partners blah blah blah...) i was able to access the google assistant by voice. i attached a screen shot of the setup screen that starts the process. perhaps you can try this too..

hey.jpg

mikedt likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 20 release date was Rumored to be August 2020. Features and Specs include a 12GB RAM, and Exynos 990 or Snapdragon 865+ processor.

Rumored to be August 2020
Release Date
Reviews