1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Google backup now button is grayed out

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Michael Balaski, Oct 16, 2019.

1. Michael Balaski

I have the screen lock set and the google backup now button is grayed out. I can remove the screen lock and the backup now button will be blue and backup will work. If I set screen lock up again, then the backup now button is grayed out.
    I have cleared the cache, data, remove my google account and re-added it. Nothing will fix this. Google backup worked fine with the screen lock until about 2 or three weeks ago. How can I fix this?

2. Best Answer:
    Post #3 by markdoc, Oct 16, 2019 (1 points)

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

3. Dannydet

Dannydet Extreme Android User

It may be a bug in the Google app.
    Or restart your phone

4. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

If you got the September security update, Google changed the phone locking by adding more security. That may be the cause of the change.

#3 markdoc, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
    tube517 and PitCarver like this.
  5. Michael Balaski

That is what I think. An update was pushed out to Android pie.

6. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

You can check in your phone's settings. It's in 2 places with different answers.
    Under "Lock screen and Security" it says August 1, 2019.
    Under "System Updates" it gives the date you updated your phone to V405UA20C. At least that's what my Verizon phone received.

#5 markdoc, Oct 16, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  7. Michael Balaski

Yes, the last update to Android was on 10/2/2019.

8. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

That's your answer. Fixing it is a different story. I don't have that setting turned on and I still lock my phone and unlock it with my fingerprint and a pattern. If I'm thinking of the same setting. Screenshot_20191016-155745.png

9. Michael Balaski

I remove the screen lock and then manually run Google backup. When it is done, i put the screen lock back on. I hope Android pushes out a fix for this soon.

markdoc and Dannydet like this.
  10. shubh1ghosh

shubh1ghosh Newbie

I have a nokia phone. This happened to me once. It got fixed on its own after a few days.

11. Michael Balaski

Yesterday I removed the screen lock. I then turned off backup to google drive. I then turned on backup to google drive and ran a backup manually. I then setup screen lock. I was then going to wait 24 hours. Sure enough the backup now button is blue and google backup has been running and screen lock is turned on. So everything is working as it should.

tube517, markdoc and Dannydet like this.
  12. Michael Balaski

Well, google backup is working again even with screen lock setup. Just wait 24 hours and the backup now button will be blue. Google backup will be working and you will have your screen lock setup.

13. markdoc

markdoc Android Expert

LG V40 ThinQ Forum

The LG V40 ThinQ release date was October 2018. Features and Specs include a 6.4" inch screen, 16MP camera, 6GB RAM, Snapdragon 845 processor, and 3300mAh battery.

October 2018
Release Date
Reviews