• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google battery replacement - ebay content

Joel76

Lurker
Apr 3, 2015
Is prying a Google phone apart to replace it's crappy battery with a crappier $10 ebay battery really worth the effort or should I just go out behind the garage and smash it and then buy something better?

It's a pixel 2 and the battery only lasted 2.5 years. It still runs but only lasts about 4 hours.

I have an ebay battery on my shop desk ... I suppose I can try it and see.

I'm really thinking about an upgrade but don't know what to get. I loved my original no bloatware moto X but it got dated pretty quick so I was forced to buy the Google. :( Any suggestions?

Is prying a Google phone apart to replace it's crappy battery with a crappier $10 ebay battery really worth the effort or should I just go out behind the garage and smash it and then buy something better?

It's a pixel 2 and the battery only lasted 2.5 years. It still runs but only lasts about 4 hours.

I'm really thinking about an upgrade but don't know what to get. I loved my original no bloatware moto X but it got dated pretty quick so I was forced to buy the Google. :( Any suggestions?
Sure just about anything off the Moto family,no bloatwear though,but you kind of have to delete some apps to make it work :)

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
How old was the phone when you got it? The Pixel 2 was released in 2017, and won't have been manufactured since 2018, so the phone is more likely 4 years old than 2.5. If it was used by someone else first all bets are off for the battery, while if you bought it new 2.5 years ago it will have sat more than a year, at least, in a warehouse, which isn't ideal for batteries either.

My Pixel 2's battery lasted 4 years, which is not as good as the HTC One I had before (4.5 years) but better than the manufacturers want it to last. I didn't buy another Pixel because this year's models are too big, but that's all really. I don't know whether Moto have upped their game with updates, but it hasn't traditionally been their strong point.

But if you have a replacement battery, trust its quality to at least be safe, and are happy replacing it then there's not much to lose trying.

Reactions: olbriar and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

its not worth tearing the phone apart to replace a battery in my opinion. unless you are a dyi kind of person or somebody who likes playing around with electronic components like that. getting a professional to do it is not worth the price for an old phone like that.

you are better off getting a new device. which one? that will depend on your budget. moto's are a decent brand. i like sammy's myself. been with them since the note 4 came out. i am currently rocking the z fold 3.

Reactions: olbriar
Upvote 0
There's a nice, step-by-step guide on the ifixit site for your model:
https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Google+Pixel+2+Battery+Replacement/103334
but given the disdain in your posting you might find it better for your own peace of mind to just get an iPhone. Keep in mind that ebay battery is going to be really dated too, and even unused smartphone batteries age. It might possibly be able to hold a charge longer than the battery that's in your Pixel 2 but it's probably (not possibly) going to have a diminished overall use life. Batteries get old, that's just an unavoidable fact.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones