• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Buzz

I "buzzed" something last night, then deleted it because I didn't like how it said my full name tied to my Google account. I tried to delete my last name from my Google account, but they require one. I think it'll be great if you can filter them, say for example "Off Road Pictures" or something.
You can edit your profile so that it doesn't show your full name, just go to edit profile then uncheck the box that says "Display my full name so I can be found in search" and type a nickname and that is what will show when you "buzz".

Upvote 0
There have been some reports that Buzz can expose people's personal email addresses when you "@" them. With this and all of the other hoopla over the privacy holes that exist within Buzz right now, I turned it off.

I may give it another go after they patch some of the leaks...

Dave

p.s. to turn off buzz, go to your Gmail inbox and select "Turn Off Buzz" at the bottom of the screen.

Upvote 0
I think it's garbage.

Just seems like google's doing too much and trying to be everything you'll ever need on the internet.

And now they're becoming ISPs!

They aren't trying to become ISPs. They are just trying to show Americans and the government what ISPs should be like and how woefully behind the US is on broadband infrastructure. They only announced plans to build a demo ISP infrastructure.

You are correct though they are trying to do almost everything a person would need online. This is called synergy and convergence. They are doing this because it positions them as a portal to all the users online needs, and thus puts them in the right place to advertise.

This isn't anything new though. This has been their vision since they originally launched the search engine in like what, 1998(ish)?

Whether they are spread too thin is anybodies guess but I have wondered this myself. It seems they are slow in pushing fixes and features to older products (like google docs) and very busy putting out beta software in new categories (wave, buzz, goggles). Nevertheless they do seem to come through with features and updates so the work hasn't stopped on old products, but it just may not be as fast as we'd like.

Upvote 0
I think the most effective privacy these days is the privacy of a crowd. I've always been in the phone book -- name, phone number, and physical address. I only started freaking out when it was the internet. But if someone knows who you are and wants to to find you, they can.

I can't get Buzz to post Buzzes to "Private." When I choose that option, the Post button fades out. When I choose "Public" it lets me post. Maybe "public" still means "only to followers."

Upvote 0
I think the most effective privacy these days is the privacy of a crowd. I've always been in the phone book -- name, phone number, and physical address. I only started freaking out when it was the internet. But if someone knows who you are and wants to to find you, they can.

You make a very good point. However, I think it's important to remember the phone book does not store all of your conversations/interactions forever.

Still, like you (I think), I've grown to embrace a certain lack of privacy and openness to new ideas about how we all approach our online interactions. I tend to be much more OK with missing some privacy than I used to be. But, I still always like to caution people that they should be aware of who they are sharing what with. While being more open online can, well, "open doors" to lots of new things, it's still important not to post every detail of one's life.

Upvote 0
I have a few questions regarding buzz and was wondering if anyone could answer them for me.

Buzz can be accessed through total of 4 (i think) ways. Mobile, google home page, maps, and gmail. You can also opt to make your buzz public or private. Private means only specified friends can see your buzz. If you make it public, lets say, from your computer on gmail, how do people have access to your buzz or see it? It doesn't make sense to me because it seems like you either need to give out your adress for a public buzz, or make all of your buzzes private to only your contacts which for me is basically none because none of them use it really. It's nice to share photos and comments with people but its just a little confusing.. :thinking:

Edit: Also... the whole 'following and be following' (or your friends list we'll call it) seems poorly designed and the way in which you can interact with people either locally or nationally seems limited in a way... ;-;

Upvote 0
The article I read today on CNET basically caused me to turn it all off. Besides, between Twitter and FB, why would you need anything more?
Buzz off: Disabling Google Buzz | Webware - CNET

Why did that article cause you to turn it off? :thinking:

It's basically a how-to on turning it off, not much in there of substance or opinion about the service. They just said they don't like it? :thinking:

By the way has anyone noticed this when posting here? I think that it's a pretty fitting irony that a spammer has latched on a pingback to this thread while some complain about Google Buzz heh.

Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces):
Already pinged:
  • [link removed by alostpacket to stop the spammer from getting a link on the site]
Also if you think your info is safe on FB or twitter, you're insane.

Upvote 0
Not saying I feel safer with the latter, but just that it comes to a point to limit how much of your personal info gets out there. There's a risk with all social networking sites, and I'd rather keep it as clean and stream lined as possible.

Absolutely, I agree. I think I just trust Google much more than FB and Twitter.

Upvote 0
I'd like to bring up an interesting point for users to debate. Although it seems that when using any social networking service (buzz or fb) there is, arguably, the same amount of security risk to information getting out. However, does it not seem that with Buzz, its almost as if in the service it self you are offering less information for anyone to really steal than you might have stored on your facebook? Facebook is designed to be almost an entire encyclopedia of who you are, what you do, and who you hang out with. Buzz is a lightly detailed profile of yourself (if you choose) with the ability to more conveniently share and talk with the masses. Just putting this out there.

Upvote 0
Okay, sorry to repeat this but I need to reword it. How does the 'public' find your buzzes if A. I buzz from my mobile device/maps with location OFF and B. I'm at my desktop using it via google or gmail.

THANKS this is all I need to know, responses are nice!

If they google your name and perhaps some other pertinent information, they can find your Buzz profile directly. When you fill out the profile, it tries to get you to fill a couple of fields, like schools or towns. I'm sure Google's world class search engine will make it easier for people who know each other to find each other.

Also, if they email you, if they know your email, they will be able to find your Buzz profile and look at it (whatever you have set to public).

In either case, if they find your Buzz profile and you had it set to public, they'd see the little status entries as line items. Just like a Facebook wall, or a bunch of Tweets on Twitter.

Upvote 0
I don't use my full name on Buzz... I don't think I have a profile, and if I do, it's MUCH less info than I have on Facebook... I don't use gmail as my main email client... so I actually only have 2 people I am following by default, neither of which use Buzz.

I am having a blast Buzzing back and forth with random people I have never met who are in my city though! My only wish is there were a lot more buzzes going on in my area... and hopefully in due time, there will be more!

I don't see it as a replacement for Facebook... just something new and unique enough to be fun and interesting.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones