1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Google Calendar Alarms off by 1 hour??

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Zoandroid, Feb 20, 2011.

1. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    Is there a way to turn OFF DST on the Ally and Google Calendar?

I was elated to learn earlier today that Pimlico, the company who sold DateBook back in my Palm OS days, has made a DateBook equivalent for Android OS now. It is called Pimlical, and I bought it today and side-loaded it (not on the Market yet). But eventually I uncovered a problem while I was going through my daily repeating alarms and scheduled alarms up into March to assign categories and such (which that program does).

I hammered on the problem for awhile and it appears the mess has to do with DST time change on March 13th of this year. On that date, all my alarms are "wrong" by one hour too early (as observed today). I do not trust that things will "work themselves out" magically when DST changes, and I am afraid of missing important appointments I have scheduled because of this problem. When I uninstalled Pimlical and still could not 'fix' the problem I started looking for reasons why.

I did some research and found the same complaint posted in the forums for other Android phones dating back through 2010. So (just as I had to do with Windows Mobile, which TOTALLY mucked up DST) I am wanting to only MANUALLY work with time changes, and change the phone's clock myself (if that is even possible) instead of having it done automatically on 3/13.

Anyone with information on this, please let me know.

Advertisement

2. PSkeptic

PSkeptic Android Expert
    None

Jan 10, 2011
    IT Project Manager
    Buffalo, NY USA
    Set your phone to get time from the network, not manually setting it. I know the telco's time is NOT off (If it were, you would not have dial tone).

3. Zoandroid

Zoandroid Android Expert
    None

May 28, 2010
    Ohio - USA
    I could try that. Could you please tell me how to do it? On the Ally in Settings/Date & Time there are but two choices of settings:

Use 12/24 hour format

Select date format

I see no way to set the clock from there.

I have searched the Ally user guide in PDF format and all I could find referring to setting the time on the Ally was this, but it doesn't actually say HOW to do it, and as I mentioned above, there are no options to do it from that screen:

I have had some unpleasant experiences in the past dealing with cell phone features, user guides, and phone carriers not having a clue how anything works on the phones they sell, other than reading the same manual I have (which they told me outright). So I suspect the manual meant to document a feature that, at the last minute, was left out on the Ally.

Tags: