• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Google Calendar replacement for Palm Desktop

athegn

Android Expert
May 26, 2010
It seems that I am not going to get the way I work on my Palm TX directly onto my Desire.

So I am looking into using Google Calendar and Google contacts via Gmail sync as a workable replacement.

I will be leaving email off my Desire for the moment; I have a Gmail account setup.

Looking at Google Calendar.

Can I import all my Palm diary data to Google Calendar and then onto my Desire? This data consists of entries going back to 1997 plus Palm "Notes" attached to many entries plus future entries with waiting alarms (some several years away) plus annual Anniversaries e.g. birthdays(with "Note" of birth year), deathdays(with "Note" of death year), event anniversaries(with "Note" of event year).

I don't know how big the file I want to bring forward will be but hope it will fit in the Desire's memory!

I have Outlook 2007 to act as a conduit from my Palm; when I get them to sync!! Another story.

Can I use the event description field, in Google Calendar, to act as a replacement for Palm Event "Notes"; is there a limit on the number of characters in the description field?

I spend a fair amount of time away from any connection so I use the "Notes" section of my Palm to add details of events and sync to my Desktop when I get home. I assume that when I next am connected my Desire will update Google Calendar?

As for Google Contacts I note the present amalgamation of firstname and surname; shame because I do sort by surname on my Palm Desktop and firstname on my old phone.

Wow, that does sound like quite and undertaking.

Personally, it's been a while since I did the big migration from PalmOS to GMail.
At the time, data import was pretty horrible; one can only hope it's become better by now.

What I did was this:

1. I created a contact in GMail (on the web, not the phone) with all the fields filled in, and then I exported that to all the various file formats.
  2. I then deleted the dummy GMail contact and tried to re-import the export files -- and to my chagrin, only about 1/3rd of the fields were imported (correctly or at all) ... so much for round-trip fidelity! :mad: I can no longer recall which fields were affected, so that's an "exercise for the reader".
This will at least give you something to aim for with your export from Palm Desktop.

You should expect to apply a non-trivial amount of manipulation to the exported data; for csv data this is manageable in a spreadsheet, especially if its search&replace function (and you!) understands regex. I believe this took me a couple of evenings to get right, including a little tidying up in GMail after the import.

As for the calendar entries, I don't believe I ever got that to work. (Browsing back through my calendar, it looks pretty blank before my Big M day.) :(

All in all, I wish you the best of luck, and lots of patience. :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones