• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Calendar "Tasks" on Phone?

Google actually has a touch-compatible web page for tasks. What I did is bookmark the URL in the browser, and then add a shortcut to the bookmark on my home screen next to my calendar.

It's not ideal, but it works very well and you can forget that you're not using a native app.

The URL you'll need depends on whether you use a standard GMail/Google account, or if you use hosted apps. If you're not sure which one you have, then most likely you're using standard GMail.

GMail: gmail.com/tasks
Hosted apps: mail.google.com/tasks/a/[yourdomain]

Once you create the bookmark and add a shortcut for it to your home screen, it will actually automatically apply the appropriate icon (I'm guessing it's the favicon from the page).

Upvote 0
I highly doubt it cause gTasks seems to be a pretty simple, no frills program, just phone ->google tasks -> phone; but worth a try.

My thinking is that if it pulls in the Google Tasks, then if I can get Outlook to send its tasks over to Google Tasks, then gTasks would be able to pick them up. But, I am finding no way to sync up Outlook and Google Tasks to begin with. Oh, well.

Upvote 0
My thinking is that if it pulls in the Google Tasks, then if I can get Outlook to send its tasks over to Google Tasks, then gTasks would be able to pick them up. But, I am finding no way to sync up Outlook and Google Tasks to begin with. Oh, well.

Google and Outlook are not big fans of each other. The only (official) syncing between the two is using Google Apps Sync, but that's only for paid Google Hosted Apps accounts. Other than that, you'll have to see if there's some third-party service that does that. I'm sure they exist, but I can't attest to any of their effectiveness or reliability.

I personally dumped Outlook like a nasty terd once I switched to Google Apps. I've never liked Outlook, but couldn't find a full-featured system I liked until Google hosted apps showed up.

Upvote 0
You know what would be really cool, is the ability to share tasks with other gmail users.

I dont want to pay for a remember the milk subscription, but as far as I can tell thats the only way to share tasks that I can find.

me and my wife could share a gdoc, but I want check marks and reminders. Any way to do with without a monthly subscription???

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones