• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Google Cardboard or Samsung Gear Vr?

I have a Note 4 but I don't know if the Google Cardboard will work with it. I'm also wondering about the quality of the Google Cardboard vs the VR. What are the advantages of getting the Samsung Gear VR over the Google Cardboard?

I have both (as well as an Oculus DK1), so...
  • the Note 4 works fine in the Google Cardboard
  • the quality of the Cardboard device is just what you'd expect for $10 - cheap, DIY-ish, and uncomfortable.
  • the quality of the Samsung Gear VR device is very good - night and day by comparison - but what do you expect for $200 vs $10?
  • I can wear the Gear VR for a loooong time. The Cardboard? Uh.... ...no.
Samsung Gear VR advantages:
  • nice, professional packaging and device ergonomics
  • a few cool demo apps
  • apparently, a relationship with Oculus
  • better SDK support
Samsung Gear VR disadvantages:
  • $200
  • it appears that they're building a walled-garden ecosystem where apps can only be downloaded from the in-world store
Google Cardboard advantages:
  • $10 + s/h
  • you can try out VR now
  • Google is staffing up a "Cardboard" group, so there may be more cool things on the way
Google Cardboard disadvantages:
  • definitely a hack
  • no accommodation to comfort

To summarize, let me put it this way: the Gear VR is right next to my keyboard. The Cardboard is not. However, that may change as Google's team comes online. I'm a developer, so all I really care about is whether I can develop apps easily.

Right now the advantage goes to the Samsung/Oculus offering, but I have a feeling that won't last very long. Google is too big, and seems reasonably agile. They understand that making mistakes is okay, and the faster you make them, the faster you learn. I like that.

When do I get my Google Plastic? :specsdroid:

Reactions: mak916
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones