1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Google Checkout ~ Account Verification Notice

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Rhinestone, Aug 16, 2011.

1. Rhinestone

Rhinestone Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2011
    Hi all, I'm hoping someone can help me with this or at least provide me with some sort or reassurance.

Over the weekend I tried to purchase an app (The full version of Robert Chou's IP Camera Viewer) on the Andorid Market only to be told there was some sort of Server Error. After a bit more investigating I found I could download free apps no problem but when I came to purchase any it would not let me.

Digging further I have found that my Google Checkout account has been suspended due to some dodgy activity a few days previous where some unscrupulous company has tried to charge $135 to my account without my authorisation.

This also tied in with my being asked to change my gmail password when I tried to access my mail account a few days back. I had some odd message saying Google had monitored some illegal activity concerning access to my account. Nothing I had done I might hasten to add. Ive only ever bought two things from the Android Market and they were back in 2010.

Google had spotted this attempted transaction and not allowed it to take place so thankfully I am not out of pocket. I do have the Transaction Number but that is about all. The downside is that to unsuspend my account I have to send Google two forms of identification (scanned documents) in order for this to take place.

I dont really have a problem with the second type of document which can be a household bill etc but the government issued ID they request is a bit iffy.

Google wants one of the following:

Government-issued identification
    Driver's licence
    Passport information page
    National identification card
    State-issued identification card
    Permanent residence card
    A different form of government-issued identification

This is a bit of a concern for me as the only two I can really use is either my UK passport or my driving licence. In this day and age of Identity Theft being rife I'm quite wary of sending anything like this.

Ive tried contacting google on some email address I was able to look up on some forums but havent got much in the way of a reply other than an automated response. All of which I did using my Gmail Account thats linked to my checkout account. No joy on getting a phone number or anything either. I have filled out a Help for Unauthorised Charges assistance questionaire on Google checkouts help pages but again no response or even a reference number

I just want to confirm that I can block out parts of the scan so it doesnt show any complete id numbers etc and / or be able to put something like "Sample for Google Verification" in black letters across the fromt ot the scan.

Seems a bit of a shame that it has come to this and nothing is very forthcoming from Google to reassure me that any data I send them will be safe.

It does seem like I'm being punished a bit for something that is not really my fault but I can ovbiously understand Googles stance in wanting to protect its customers from fraud.

Has anyone else on here had to do this. :thinking:
    Is it OK to send this stuff over? Why dont Google seem to want to reply to a valid and quite serious set of questions? Is this normal for Google?

Apologies for War and Peace but I wanted to make sure I got as many facts down as possible. Thanks in advance

Regards

Phil

Advertisement

2. monsoonfire

monsoonfire Lurker
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Yes, I am pretty sure that the email is legitimate as my wallet account has been blocked. However, I would hate to submit these documents to anyone, and especially Google. Is this a ruse to get more private information from me?